04: Happy Birthday

Word Count: 9341

-

"Y/N, how'd you do?"

Semester exams had finally ended. Having survived their collective hell, the students gathered in their classroom, more excited and animated than usual.

Y/N and Jennie, both relieved that they had wrapped up all their tests, were comparing their performances.

"Mm? Oh, pretty average," Y/N answered. "Not that great, not that bad."

The exam had covered the expected material, so for anyone who studied daily, it wasn't that difficult. Y/N had done about as well this time as she had with other tests, leaving little to say about her academics one way or the other.

Y/N got bored easily, but she nevertheless always made sure to study. She was able to retain most of the things taught in class, but it was far too difficult to get a perfect score, so her scores usually floated between a solid eighty and ninety.

"I bet you'll make it into the top thirty, if you didn't outdo yourself... you egghead," Jennie teased.

"It's because I study every day," Y/N shot back.

"Well, how nice for you!"

"Don't start; you're the one forgetting to study 'cause you're too busy flirting."

The difference between Y/N and Jennie probably had less to do with their intellectual capacities and more to do with which one of them spent all their free time with a certain girlfriend named Lisa. Jennie had the ability to make it into a pretty high score bracket if she ever bothered to study seriously, but since Lisa was her real priority, her actual rank was much lower than Y/N's.

"Girlfriends are great, you know?" Jennie said wistfully.

"Yeah, yeah."

"Hey, Y/N, you should get a girlfriend, too!"

"If people could just get girlfriends whenever they wanted, the people of the world wouldn't shed so many bitter tears."

There were plenty of unsatisfied people who would have taken offense at Jennie's thoughtless remark. Y/N, though, wasn't really inclined to get angry with her over it. In fact, she'd never really felt that way about any girl, so she was content to let the comment pass.

"Assuming I did get one, what then?" Y/N inquired.

"A double date," Jennie replied.

"That would end in a bad case of heartburn for my fictional girlfriend and me. We'd have to break up."

"You could flirt in front of us, too, y'know!"

"Do you really think I can find a girlfriend, the way I live?"

"I guess it's impossible."

"Right?"

Y/N was honest to a fault, even with herself. She'd always found other people difficult and exhausting, and she was aware that many people found her to be standoffish. That, plus the blunt way she spoke, meant she was not all that popular. Y/N's social status would've made it hard to find a girlfriend, even if she was looking for one.

Against all odds, if Y/N did somehow find a girlfriend, she was sure they wouldn't be like Jennie and Lisa. She couldn't picture herself flirting in public with a girl, oblivious to anyone who might see.

"Come on, you should at least find someone you like, Y/N. If you just cut your bangs a little shorter, cleaned yourself up, and maybe found a style that worked for you, the girls would definitely look at you differently, I'm tellin' ya," Jennie advised.