51: Love, Teasing, and Grocery Shopping

Word Count: 4,621

"Y/N, what do you want to do for lunch?"

When morning classes were over, Rosé approached my seat carrying a bag with two lunch boxes in it. I had been planning to eat lunch with the usual group but now found myself hesitating somewhat, worried it might cause them trouble.

Incidentally, Sana and Momo had been eating with us lately, but the two of them had already firmly refused to join us that day, on the grounds that they didn’t want to put themselves in the line of fire. Sadly, it was undeniable that Rosé and I had been making things even worse during the breaks between classes.

"Hmm, well, if Jennie and the others don’t mind, I’d like to eat together, but—"

I hesitated.

"Did you think we were actually going to abandon you?"

Jennie, Lisa, and Jisoo joined Rosé and me. They already had their wallets out. Jennie grinned bitterly and said, "Don’t be a stranger. We’ll eat together like we always do."

I felt relieved. "Jennie..."

She chuckled. "After all, you two are liable to get into trouble without a chaperone, so you could almost say it’s my responsibility to be there."

"...I've got mixed feelings about that," I grumbled. But I understand what Jennie is getting at as I remember how careless Rosé and I were earlier in the day. It obviously wasn't intentional, but I won't deny that either Rosé or I could slip up again.

Jennie's concern isn't entirely misplaced. "Well, in any case, we're doing the usual," she said.

"I actually want to see Rosé be more aggressive, so I don't mind," Lisa said. "As far as I'm concerned, you two can go for it."

Jisoo chimed in. "I think it would be...awkward for the rest of us if you were to make a big show of your intimacy...you know?"

"You too, Jisoo...?" Y/N asked.

"It would be embarrassing for those of us who'd have to watch," Jisoo continued. "At the same time, you two seem happy, and that's the most important thing," she said with a smile.

I was left speechless by Jisoo's heartfelt endorsement.

"Though some of us would appreciate it if you showed at least a little restraint," Jisoo added.

I had gotten that sense after seeing Sana's and Momo's reactions, so I nodded seriously.

"...So the cafeteria's okay, yeah? I mean, I don't have a lunch box, so I'm going there anyway."

"Sounds good," I agreed.

"All right, let's get going. I wonder what the special is today?"

"I think it's fried chicken."

"Oh, sweet! The fried chicken they serve here is so light and crispy; it's so good."

Jennie walked off, waving her wallet and grinning broadly. I felt grateful and followed her.

"...Here, Y/N, take your lunch box."

Once the five of us had taken our seats in the cafeteria and gotten our food, Rosé pulled a lunch box out of her bag and offered it to me. Mine was one size larger than Rosé's, which she pulled out next, and mine held quite a bit more food. It was enough to satisfy a hearty appetite rather than someone who usually didn't eat very much.

"Mm, thanks."

"Aw, Rosé made you lunch, how nice!"

"I'm not giving you any."