21: Trees and Butterflies

Word Count: 2,078

The day before the start of the new semester, I was slovenly sprawled out on my sofa, lazily watching the news on television.

I was feeling carefree despite the upcoming school year, both because the weather had settled down into the perfect climate for napping, and because no matter what class I was assigned, I knew my social standing wouldn't change.

Through eyes blurry from yawning, I stared at the TV, where a serious-looking announcer was reporting on the best times to see the cherry blossoms.

The broadcast covered where the viewing was currently best, how many people were expected to go out to see the trees, and which regions were in full bloom. It all sounded very lively.

Apparently, the region I was living in was close to full bloom, too. According to the news report, the flowers had blossomed quite early this year. It was a surprise to see them out before the start of the new semester. It reminded me of my hometown, actually, where they usually bloomed this time of year.

Cherry blossoms, huh...?

I had never really cared about the changing of the seasons all that much, but I could understand why some people found it charming. I did have some fondness for the cherry blossoms and liked to see the pale petals.

Come to think of it, there was a row of cherry trees not that far from here, near the river...

I slowly sat up.

"I really loafed around over spring break, huh? I guess I shouldn't be surprised..."

Aside from a moderate amount of weight training and some light jogging, I hadn't gone anywhere or done anything.

I had always preferred the indoors, but I'd basically spent the entire holiday sitting in my apartment with Rosé, so I figured it would probably do me some good to go outside for a change.

I was annoyed that it had taken a news report to get me moving, but today was the last day of spring break, so if I didn't seize this opportunity, I would have to wait a whole week. Really, I had no choice but to just go for it—no time like the present, after all.

I rolled off the sofa and changed into appropriate street clothes. I was going alone, so I didn't bother getting into mystery woman mode. Since I was just one lone girl, getting ready was simple. After I changed, I grabbed my bag, stuck my phone and wallet inside, then prepared to leave. Just as I opened the door, a ripple of golden hair filled my vision.

"Oh, Y/N, where are you going?"

Rosé was in her usual clothes, so she was probably actually just on her way over to my place. It would be pretty awkward to set off now.

"Rosé? Oh, I thought I would go for a bit of a walk. It's the last day of spring break, you know. Today's it."

"I see. You were kind of a hermit over the break, weren't you?"

"Oh, hush... A-anyway, I won't be back for a couple hours, so if you want to chill at my place, that's fine. What are you up to?"

I thought that my apartment had more entertainment options, so she might appreciate that, but on the other hand, she would probably feel more comfortable in her own home, so...I decided to leave it up to her.

Rosé was staring silently up at me. Her eyes suggested that she might have something to say.

I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do. Nervously, I scratched my cheek. "Wh-what's up? You look like you want to come with me or something."