59: Omelette

Word Count: 7,013

Eventually, you were able to regain your composure, and you set foot into the pool with Rosé by your side. For you, who was already at adult height, the water came up to about your hips, but for Rosé it reached her solar plexus, which didn’t make it seem particularly shallow. She looked up at you with a slightly worried expression.

“…Rosie, you’re not gonna drown; you’ll be fine.”

“Y/N, people can die by drowning in as little as thirty centimeters of water.”

“Okay, listen… I won’t let that happen, but if by some chance you do, I’ll give you CPR.”

In order to encourage her, you spoke cheerfully, but Rosé kept clinging to your arm and looked up at you again. In her eyes, you saw a little bit of sulking and a shade of expectation.

“…You won’t keep me from drowning?”

Without meaning to, your gaze locked on Rosé after she murmured this with a tone of slight disappointment. The small bulge formed by her pouting lips looked dissatisfied and…kind of pleading, but you figured that was your imagination. Looking at her light-pink lips, which hadn’t lost any of their luster even though she wasn’t wearing lip balm, you gulped audibly. But there was no way you could cast away all reason and kiss her then and there, so you shifted your gaze to the side.

“…I-I’d like for us to wait a little bit longer, so…um, we can’t, not here.”

“I—I never said that I want you to do it here. But, well… I’m starting to wonder if you don’t want to, Y/N.”

“Of course I do w-want to!! I always want to!”

Surely there wasn’t a person in the world who didn’t want to kiss the person they liked. Even you, who was not a particularly romantic person, still wanted to touch Rosé a lot and kiss her as much as you pleased. You knew you had to work up to it step by step, and you were confident that she would pull away if you were always forcing your desires on her, so you had been holding back, but it was unthinkable that you didn’t want to.

At your strong assertion, Rosé once again flushed red, pressed her forehead against your arm, and hid her face. The fact that she was red all the way to her ears made you think that you had said something wrong, and you began to blush as well.

“…Y-you’ve got the wrong idea—”

“…Do I?”

“Well, it’s not wrong exactly, but, um… If we do that, I’ll have a hard time today, so please just wait a little longer.”

You had often been ridiculed by your friends for being a late bloomer and a wuss, and at this point, you couldn’t deny it. From Rosé's perspective, she was probably getting really impatient with you. You were treasuring her too much and moving at a slow pace, and she had been waiting for you the whole time.

…I guess Rosé wants to go further? She must want to do more things that partners do?

You looked down at Rosé to confirm your thoughts, and she had her eyes turned up at you with half of her flushed face still hidden.

“…You do what you like, but Lisa said that making yourself hold back too long isn’t good… Don’t overdo it…”

“Ugh, Lisa—”

“A-after all, Lisa has been in a relationship longer than either of us, so…”

“She’s definitely been a bad influence on you, don’t you see?! L-listen, Rosé, we can go at whatever pace feels right for us. I’m not trying to go unreasonably fast, and, um…if we rush too much, I think you’ll end up floundering, too.”