52: Growing Closer

Word Count: 2,608

"Hey, Jennie?"

"What's up, hon?"

"...Do you think Rosie has somehow gotten even more popular since we started dating?"

I muttered these words as I watched my girlfriend cheerfully talk with a cluster of classmates who had surrounded her in our classroom.

"Sure would," Jennie affirmed.

Several days had passed since Rosé and I started dating, and her popularity showed no signs of declining. It actually seemed to be increasing.

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say Rosé had always been the most popular person in our class, but now there were even more people hovering around her.

I was grateful that there seemed to be more girls than boys in the crowd, although I did have mixed feelings about the passionate looks the boys were giving her.

"Well, it's pretty obvious why she's more popular than ever," Jennie added.

"And why is that?"

"How do I put this...? Up until now, it was like she existed on the other side of a glass showcase, but now she seems more approachable somehow. I think it's because their idol, the unattainable Miss Park Chaeyoung, has shown that she's actually just an ordinary girl by being with another girl like you, Y/N."

Sure enough, the nature of Rosé's smile has changed since we started dating. Of course, she still has her angelic smile, but now she's also showing her true face more often. It's like she's embracing her innocence and behaving like a regular girl her age.

It's happening gradually, and I should be happy about it, but there's a part of me that feels a bit uneasy. I asked her to do it, to show everyone that she's just an ordinary girl, but now that it's actually happening, I can't help but feel a little down. I guess I'm being inconsistent with my own feelings.

"How can I explain it? I really feel conflicted," I said. "Seeing her true self in public, when it used to be something private and special between us. I know I should be happy about it, but somehow, it's making me feel a bit depressed. I think I'm being petty, even for me."

"That's just your possessiveness showing, you know? But hey, it's not like the face Rosé is wearing right now is the only one she has, right? I'm sure she has plenty of other faces that she only shows to you."

"Yeah, I guess so."

There's that mix of embarrassment and happiness on her face when I touch her, or that adorable pout with her cheeks puffed out like little balloons. And let's not forget that sweet smile she puts on when I pamper her, like she's soaked up a whole jar of honey. Those are all faces that she only shows to me.

"Plus, you're the one who brought out those smiles in her. They exist because of you, so don't lose your confidence now. You should be proudly saying, 'Look at how cute my Rosie is!'"

"Well, I can't exactly call her 'my Rosie,' but I'll try not to get jealous."

"What do you mean you can't say she's yours? After all that flirting in front of everyone?"

"Well, that was... We didn't do it on purpose."

"It would have been pretty bold if you did! And even if it wasn't intentional, it still shows how much you two like each other. Enough to make waves. Just look around, girl!" Jennie playfully poked me on the forehead, and I pressed my lips together, trying to hide my smile.

Lately, for some reason, our classmates have been blushing or looking around nervously whenever Rosé and I are nearby. Even when we're not being overly affectionate or talking about anything important, our mere presence seems to make them blush. I don't really get it.