32: None But You

Word Count: 4,350

"Come to think of it, Rosé, are you doing anything for Mother's Day?" I asked, turning to my friend as we watched TV in our dorm room. A Mother's Day special had just come up on the screen, and I wondered if Rosé had any plans.

Rosé shrugged nonchalantly. "Not really. My mom's not big on holidays like that. But what about you, Y/N?"

I hesitated for a moment, feeling a pang of guilt. "I...haven't really thought about it, to be honest. I don't even know what day it is."

Rosé chuckled. "Well, it's this Sunday. And don't worry too much about it. I'm sure your mom will appreciate anything you do for her."

I nodded, feeling a little better. "Yeah, you're right. I'll probably just send her a card or something."

Rosé smiled. "That's a good idea. And hey, if you want, we can go out and do something fun together. Make a day of it."

I grinned at the thought. "That sounds great, actually. Maybe we can try out that new Korean restaurant in town?"

Rosé's eyes lit up. "Yes! I've been dying to go there. They have the best bulgogi, apparently."

I laughed. "You and your bulgogi. But yeah, let's do it. It'll be a nice way to celebrate the day."

As we settled back into watching TV, I felt grateful for Rosé's friendship and her ability to lift my spirits. And I made a mental note to call my mom and make plans for Mother's Day, even if it was just a simple card or phone call.

Thanks to Rosé, I had learned how to do basic housework, or at least enough to get by on my own. But I didn't think I would be able to do everything to my parents' standards, so they would just end up redoing everything in the end.

"I guess you would," Rosé said, nodding in agreement.

"I don't know how I feel about you agreeing with that," I replied, feeling a little embarrassed.

"But you have learned enough to keep up with the everyday chores. I mean, it's far from perfect, but you can get by now."

"That's a harsh appraisal. That said, you're not wrong."

"Heh-heh. You've still got a ways to go, Y/N."

I sighed, feeling a little defeated. "Yes, I know. I'll keep practicing."

Rosé laughed, slapping my arm playfully. "Don't worry about it too much. You'll get there eventually."

I had a feeling that even if I spent my whole life working on it, I would never get as good at housework as Rosé was now. She seemed to have a natural talent for it.

"I don't know how your parents could make you live alone when you couldn't even take care of yourself, Y/N," Rosé said, shaking her head in disbelief.

I winced at her words, feeling a little defensive. "Hey, I can take care of myself just fine. I just...need a little help sometimes."

Rosé raised an eyebrow skeptically. "Uh-huh. Well, I'm here to help you out, so don't worry about it."

I smiled gratefully at her. "Thanks, Rosé. I don't know what I'd do without you."

As we settled back into our routine of watching TV and chatting, I felt lucky to have a friend like Rosé who was always there to support me. And I made a mental note to keep practicing my housework skills, even if it was just to prove Rosé wrong.

I pretended not to notice the shock of pain that went through my chest as I shrugged. "Actually, I don't think they ever wanted to let me out of their sight? I was a real loser with absolutely no life skills, after all."