29: Awfully Bold Rosé

Word Count: 4,617

"Welcome to the first-ever Rosé Cooking Class!"

Lisa made this announcement with the rhythm and energy of a television cooking program's intro. I shot her an annoyed look.

Golden Week had started, and we had decided to hold Rosé's cooking class on the first day of the break. The venue was my apartment, for the simple reason that it was an easy place for Rosé and Lisa to meet. Lisa's family was at her house, so they wouldn't be able to get too noisy, and Rosé had volunteered her place, but I had balked at going into her apartment, so we had settled on mine.

Wearing an apron, Lisa was getting herself all worked up. "Yaaay! We've invited Miss Roseanne to be our lecturer for the course!"

Rosé, too, was wearing her apron and a wry smile as she stood next to Lisa.

"You didn't invite her anywhere," I insisted. "You're also a guest here, you know."

"And as our taste tester...we've invited the extremely tiresome Y/N!"

"Oh, shut up. Also, this is my house."

"She's no fun at all!"

I just couldn't keep up with Lisa's incredibly high-energy personality this early in the morning. It was just past nine. We had planned to finish cooking around lunchtime, so this was the only time we could meet. I didn't really mind the hour, but Lisa was a lot to deal with right after waking up.

"...Sorry about this, first thing in the morning...," Rosé apologized.

"No, it's fine. You are making me lunch, after all," I insisted. "Though, speaking of which, please keep an eye on Lisa so she doesn't put anything strange in it."

"O ye of little faith!"

"Have you forgotten your previous offense on Valentine's Day...?"

I still hadn't forgotten the taste of her prank chocolates. The ones with nothing weird in them had been delicious, of course, but the taste of the surprise special chocolates had been shocking enough that I could recall it even now. And I couldn't trust Lisa's palate, since she claimed she had been able to eat those experimental pieces like regular sweets.

"Ah-ha-ha, but those were meant to be a prank. It'll be fine if I'm cooking normally. Probably."

"That 'probably' worries me, you ass... I'm begging you, please make something I can eat."

"Don't worry about it!" said Lisa confidently as she started rolling up her sleeves.

I felt a tinge of anxiety as I watched the girls set up, but I believed Rosé would probably intervene on my behalf somehow. Rosé didn't compromise on dishes she planned to serve to other people, and she was the one running this lesson, so I was confident they would make the food properly, and everything would be fine.

With Lisa in tow, Rosé headed for my kitchen as if it were her own home and read out the names of the dishes on the day's menu. Namely, today's lunch would consist of a quiche and salad, with shrimp bisque and a sauté of any excess ingredients. She had apparently decided to answer my request to include shrimp.

I was sure that everything would go okay, but I still worried about Lisa putting something strange into the quiche.

"...I feel like you're being needlessly wary...," Lisa protested. Maybe she had noticed me staring at her.

I averted my eyes and flopped down on the sofa. My job was to be a taste tester, so I didn't really have to do anything, and that suited me just fine. I wasn't totally useless as Rosé's helper, but that was Lisa's role today, and anyway, I had been instructed by Rosé to sit down, so I couldn't move from my spot.