43: What a Tease

Word Count: 4,112

Exams were over, and it was the middle of May. The sun's gentle rays grew brighter, creating a springlike atmosphere. It was that time of year when it was starting to get uncomfortable to wear long sleeves.

May was supposed to be the time for a seasonal change of clothing, but the work of pulling out my short-sleeved shirts was awfully troublesome, so I had been putting it off. However, the air conditioners in school were set to the perfect temperature. As soon as I took a single step outside the lecture rooms or set off to and from uni, I felt hot. Eventually, I came to the decision that it was time to get my summer clothes out.

"It's getting to be the season when we'll want short sleeves, huh?" Rosé asked. She nodded in understanding as she watched me pull my summer clothes out of a garment case that I stored in the back of my closet and threw them into the washing machine to wear for tomorrow.

Incidentally, Rosé was also still dressing in long sleeves and tights, in a way that avoided exposing any unnecessary skin. She had switched to wearing a sweater vest under her blazer, but looking at her all covered up, I worried that she might be hot.

"The weather is changing, and I've been feeling a little sweaty. I think it's time for me to ditch the long sleeves too. Today was so warm, right?"

"You never let your clothes get sloppy, Rosé. You always button everything up properly, never roll your sleeves up, and you're always rocking those tights..."

"People always stare at me when I show a little skin, and it really bothers me. I feel like I have to dress that way... It's like my way of protecting myself."

Rosé is so beautiful and has such a great sense of style, but she's always bothered by people's stares. No matter what, she attracts attention, and sometimes it's just plain uncomfortable. I get it, guys can't help but look at a gorgeous woman like her, but I can tell that Rosé hates being ogled.

"I never know how to dress for summer," she says. "Last year, I tried wearing those super thin black stockings, but they were still way too warm."

"Yeah, I can imagine. Girls have to pile on more clothes than guys, which is really hot..."

"Well, I can handle a little warmth if it means protecting myself, but... overheating is a real struggle."

Rosé sighed and said she hated summer for that reason. I didn't know how I should answer, so I ended up staying silent. But Rosé didn't seem to mind and let her gaze wander over to the washing machine.

"So you'll start wearing your summer clothes tomorrow?" she asked.

"Well, I was thinking it's about time to change. It's already this sweltering..."

"I see. I've also been considering it, but before I can go to school, I feel like I've got to try everything on at least once to check the fit. I think my size hasn't changed, but just in case..."

Rosé seemed very concerned about maintaining her figure, and it didn't seem like she would have let herself get out of shape. I admired her strong willpower and discipline. I knew that I could never be as strict with myself as Rosé was with herself, but I wished that I too had an ideal body that I could maintain. First, I would have to start by getting my ideal body, though.

"I'd better try mine on too, or it could be bad. I've gained a little weight since being spoiled by a certain someone, so if they don't fit, I'll have to buy new ones at the school store."

Rosé looked up at me.

"...You're pretty tall, aren't you, Y/N?"
"Well, I guess I'm a little taller than average."