17: Special Gift

Word Count: 4,352

I was always diligent with my studies and serious about my lessons, so I completed my final exams without any particular difficulty. Going over my tests with Rosé, I found that I'd gotten the same grades as usual. I always did well enough at school and never had to worry about being held back a course or anything like that. Lisa also got fairly good scores, and even Jennie had apparently done well enough to avoid a failing mark, so the people I was closest to were in no danger of repeating any college course, either.

All that was left was the graduation ceremony to send off the third-year students, which didn't have much to do with us, and after that, to wait for the closing ceremony. Between the two ceremonies, however, was one very important date.

"...What do I give her?"

The day was fast approaching for all those who had prevailed on Valentine's Day to repay their gifts. Both Rosé and Lisa had given me chocolates, so naturally, I was planning to give them each something in return since I was too lazy and incompetent to give gifts during Valentine's Day. The only problem was that I had no idea what to give Rosé.

Lisa's gift was easy enough-I planned to combine a White Day cake from the store where she had purchased our Christmas cake with a sundry of merchandise based on the characters she liked. I was sure that someone like Lisa, who was more interested in sweets than sweethearts, would appreciate that. It was an obvious choice.

But Rosé remained a dilemma. I was sure that Rosé would graciously accept anything I got her-the thought mattered more to her than the actual gift. But I wanted to pick out something that would make her really happy. The trouble was that I honestly didn't know much about the kinds of things she liked. I knew she had a taste for sweets and liked cute stuff like most other girls, but beyond that, I was lost. Rosé was not an easy person to shop for.

I remembered her telling me that she wanted a new whetstone, but that didn't seem like a particularly charming gift, and I couldn't really afford something like that anyway. And for this occasion, it seemed more appropriate to give her something she would enjoy, rather than something practical.

I started my search by looking over the White Day display at a nearby department store, but I couldn't picture Rosé being truly happy with any of the things there. I was hoping for a reaction like I'd gotten when I'd given her the stuffed bear.

Of course, it would be boring to give her a stuffed animal a second time. There were many adorable stuffed animals on display, but I decided that a repeat gift lacked originality.

On the other hand, when I tried to imagine what would impress her, my poor imagination could only come up with cosmetics or fashion accessories.

But I knew less than nothing about cosmetics, and I wasn't sure whether we had the kind of relationship where I could confidently pick out fashionable things for her. I didn't think she would interpret it as anything strange, but I wasn't sure it would really impress her either.

I thought that our relationship was pretty good, and if I were Jennie and she were Lisa, an accessory would be an obvious choice, but I just didn't think it was the right move here.

Racked with worry, I lingered restlessly by the gifts corner. I imagined that I must look awfully suspicious. Even though I had taken the precaution of dressing up to go out, I thought that a single person hanging around the cute goods had to seem shady.

I was grumbling to myself about my options when from behind me, a voice asked, "Are you looking for anything in particular?"

When I turned around, there was a young woman in a store apron standing there smiling. She had probably noticed my distress as I helplessly wandered the aisles.