55: Navigating Temptation

Word Count: 3,899

"Hey, Y/N, I've got somewhere to go today, so is it cool if we head home separately?" Rosé asked. It was early July, and we were about to leave school together, like we always did.

I found myself staring at her without even realizing it. It was unusual for Rosé to request this, considering she always wanted to walk home with me. I could tell that there was something she didn't want me to know about, but it didn't seem like she felt guilty about it.

Since the sun set later in the summer, I figured it would be fine as long as her errand didn't take too long. But if I'm being honest, I would have preferred to go home together.

"Yeah, got it. I'll see you later then," I replied.

I knew that we would still have plenty of time to spend together at home, so I respected Rosé's wishes. She seemed relieved by my answer, but then her eyes widened as if she had just realized something. She gave me a look as if she was raising her guard just a little.

"...Don't walk home with any other girls, okay?" she said.

"Do you think I would do that?" I asked.

"I know you wouldn't, but there's a possibility that you might be asked. And, well, I'm not saying they can't, but I don't like it. Other girls have been talking to you lately, and..."

It was a miracle I didn't react out loud.

...Don't tell me... Rosé's jealous?

It should have been obvious from the way I acted towards Rosé that I hadn't been asked by other girls, but apparently, she had started worrying about it.

Actually, the only girls who had spoken to me had done so to show their support for our relationship and wish us good luck, so there was no need for concern.

Even though I still felt slightly uncomfortable, Rosé was looking up at me with an imploring, anxious expression. She looked so cute that I wanted to stroke her hair, but we were surrounded by people, so I held myself back.

I had made a mistake before, and everyone had gathered around to see Rosé's smiling face, so naturally, I wasn't about to repeat that.

"It's all right. I only have eyes for you, and I haven't told anyone that I'll walk home with them. Unless you count being dragged around by Lisa."

"That's good to hear."

If it was Lisa, it seemed like it would be okay. But to begin with, she had Jennie, so she definitely wasn't interested in me. And I had never looked at Lisa in that way, so Rosé probably felt at ease.

Rosé relaxed her shoulders, seemingly relieved by my words, and this time, she gazed up at me with a hint of embarrassment.

"Also, um, just because I don't want there to be any chance of misunderstanding, I'll tell you where we're going."

"You don't need to keep it a secret?"

"N-no."

I got the sense that she was fairly hesitant to say it, but I waited patiently for her to continue.

"W-well... we're... going shopping."

"Gotcha. That doesn't really seem like anything to be embarrassed about."

"I'm going with Lisa... u-um, to buy a swimsuit, so—"

"...A swimsuit?"

Sure enough, it was July, and swimsuits were being sold in all the stores now. In the shopping mall we frequently visited, a special shop had opened just for selling swimsuits, and I could recall girls from our class talking about going to buy some.