11: Happy New Year

Word Count: 4976

Once Christmas had passed, the whole world could feel the end of the year approaching.

The day after spending Christmas with Rosé, I went out to do a bit of shopping on my own. By the time I was finished, my surroundings had undergone a dramatic shift, and I admired the new scenery on my way home.

The lights strung up around the city remained, but the ornamented trees and Christmas decorations had already been replaced with more traditional Korean adornments. The shops had also updated their merchandise, selling New Year's decorations and foods. If there were any Christmas things still in stock, at best they had been reduced in price and were displayed under INVENTORY CLEAR OUT SALE labels.

I nestled my face deeper into the billowy folds of my scarf as I pondered the sudden changeover. Rosé had given me the monochrome houndstooth patterned scarf as a Christmas present. It was both practical and tasteful... it looked stylish and felt very nice to the touch, and most importantly, it kept the chilly winter winds at bay.

I had never really worn a scarf before, so I was feeling grateful for this one as I checked over the contents of the shopping bags hanging from my arms.

Though the two of us were supposed to share this responsibility-in order to reduce the burden on Rosé, who did all the cooking-I usually went out to buy the ingredients, armed with a shopping list.

It was a cold day, and my bags were stuffed with vegetables, mushrooms, and meat-Rosé must have been planning to make a hot pot. The plentiful vegetables were her way of wordlessly insisting that I eat a more balanced, nutritious diet.

I laughed quietly to myself, amused that Rosé was somehow still looking out for me even when she wasn't actually present.

I checked again to be sure that I'd gotten everything, then quickly returned home, shivering against the relentless cold.

"Welcome back."

It was already evening when I entered my apartment, and Rosé was there to greet me.

It was kind of a strange feeling, being welcomed into my own apartment, but recently I had gotten used to it.

"Mm, I'm back... I bought some thinly sliced mochi... I hope that's okay?"

"You want to cook it in the hot pot, right?"

"Yeah. I also got some ramen to finish off the meal."

"...There's no way I can eat that much, you know."

"Don't worry, I'll make sure it doesn't go to waste."

I had never been the type to eat huge meals before, but now, thanks to Rosé's cooking, I had started enjoying more sizable dinners. In fact, I found my new portion sizes a bit concerning and had resolved to start weight training.

Rosé seemed to be watching her diet as well. She rarely prepared any fattening foods. On the other hand, she also seemed to think that I could stand to put on a bit of weight, since I was so slim. I hoped I would add curves and not fat.

"Well, if you're going to finish it, then that's fine. Here, give me the bags. I'll put the things in the fridge. You go wash your hands."

"I know, I know."

I handed the full shopping bags to Rosé and obediently headed for the sink.

-

"Come to think of it, what are you doing for New Year's, Rosie?"

After finishing every last bite of the day's delicious meal, as always, I suddenly asked Rosé the question that had been weighing on my mind.