10: Power Outage

Word Count: 790

"Ah!"

I let out a panicked yelp as I was suddenly plunged into darkness.

The weather had been calling for storms all week due to an unusual pressure front, and indeed, the sounds of thunder and heavy rain outside were unceasing. But I hadn't expected it to get bad enough to knock out the power.

After an especially loud crack of thunder, the lights went out all at once, from the bulbs to the television. It was a total blackout.

Luckily, my computer had been unplugged, so it likely hadn't suffered any damage, but I would have to check the other appliances later.

"Do you have your phone? I left mine in a backpack in my bedroom."

I wished I had a flashlight handy, but a phone would have to do. Unfortunately, I had left mine in my room, but I figured Rosé would have hers. She had been sitting next to me, working on problems in a textbook, when the lights cut out.

However, there was no reply. "Rosé?" I called out anxiously.

I thought I felt something tugging on my sleeve. I asked what happened, and still, there was no answer. I blindly extended a hand toward where Rosé had been sitting and brushed up against something slender that I assumed was her arm... It was easy to tell that she was trembling as she started and pulled away.

There was a loud thud as something fell down, and then a groan. I heard a grumbling voice come from the floor.

"What a disgrace."

"..Um, sorry I startled you."

"..No. I startled myself... that's all."

Rosé didn't seem particularly bothered by her fall from the sofa as she groped around and found her original position.

I was worried that she had landed hard on something, but she didn't seem to be in pain or anything. Then, perhaps while Rosé searched for the hem of my shirt again, her fingertips brushed against me lightly.

It tickled, and without thinking, I grabbed her slim wrist, and she started trembling again. This time, she didn't fall off the sofa. "Looking for something?"

"Are you being sarcastic?"

"Why in the world would I be?"

"I thought you would make fun of me for getting so shaken up by a little blackout..."

"I'm not that much of an ass."

Usually, Rosé was very levelheaded and not the kind to scare easily-but she was still a fragile woman, and even an adult like her could feel anxious if the power suddenly went out.

Outside, the thunder rolled on, accompanying the endless drumming of raindrops, but inside the apartment, it was quiet and still. Rosé continued fiddling nervously with the hem of my shirt, but she didn't make any moves to brush off my hand. I had been a little nervous about touching her at first, but now I gently squeezed her hand.

"So I guess you're not a big fan of the dark?" I spoke to her softly and could more or less make out that she shook her head.

"I don't hate it, but..." she trailed off.

"Mm hmm?"

"..I just don't like it when it's bright one moment and dark the next-that's all."

"Ah, okay," I replied. "I'm not really afraid of the dark, and I don't feel scared."

"Sure, yeah," Rosé stubbornly dismissed her fears in an even more aloof tone than usual, but I had spent enough time with her to know it was all an adorable bluff.

I smiled slightly, thinking that the cover of darkness could be a good thing, but Rosé added in a small voice, "... There's just one thing."

I stopped smiling and leaned slightly toward her. "Hmm?"

"...When we sit like this, I know I'm not alone, and I feel better," Rosé mumbled. She sounded relieved.

"I see," I said, and I gently squeezed her hand again.

"The power's back on. I'm going to check my appliances."

The moment the lights in the room flashed to life, Rosé gently slipped out of my hold and stood up.

I smiled wryly at her transparent change in attitude, but I noticed that the ears poking out from under her blonde hair were red and decided not to say anything.

I stood up, too, to go look at the circuit breaker and check that nothing had malfunctioned. When I passed Rosé, I heard a small "Thank you" and couldn't help but stare at her.

In a fluster, Rosé turned away quickly and went to the kitchen to escape. I simply scratched my cheek and headed for the washroom to check on the breakers there.

Once inside, I noticed that my reflection in the mirror had slightly flushed cheeks.

"That's weird," I muttered as I turned away bashfully.