Chapter 3-falling

!This chapter contains self harm and unhealthy eating patterns !

The next morning I wake up in my hammock. I know I fell asleep by the walls last night so someone must have dragged me all the way over here after. I'm getting embarrassed. I have no idea who it was so I will just act like nothing happened, I think.

The sun has already risen and I know I slept long. Am I a medjack now? I haven't asked Newt yesterday. I decide to get up first and then go find him.

As I slowly stand up, I look around the sleeping area. I'm all alone. The others must have left early. Or it's just late, I don't know. I remember Thomas and Minho are in the maze today. Thomas told me. So I'll be on my own today. No, I have Newt and Jeff of course.

I walk over to the shower room, still very tired. My mouth is dry and my hair is frizzy. I probably also have a bad breath. As I'm halfway there, I realise I forgot both my toothbrush and my brush. Newt gave them to me yesterday at breakfast, along with a few slightly oversized shirts and shorts. I jog back to get my stuff. I want to shower. I'll ask Newt for something like a shampoo later.

I enter the bathroom with all my stuff in my arms. I close the door and stand infront of the mirror. I feel miserable. How come? I remember yesterday evening. That was horrible. I have no idea what happened back there. I wasn't able to even think straight. Everything seemed worthless and cruel to me. Maybe that just happens sometimes if you're stressed. I'll ask Jeff about it later.

Compared to the day I came up, I don't feel pretty anymore today. It's probably the morning. I mean, Thomas said I was pretty. He wouldn't lie me in the face like that, would he? No, not Thomas.

I begin to brush my hair, than my teeth. I lock myself up in one of the shower cabines and take my clothes of. There is soap in the corner of the shower. I grab it and well, shower. As the hot water streames over my face, I let a few tears drip of my eyes. I just feel like crying right now. What's going on with me?!

I really like showering, so I'm not in much of a hurry. I step out of the shower with my new clothes on and dry my hair with a towel. My eyes are a bit swollen and I look exhausted. But it's much better, now that I finally showered.

Walking through the glade, I search for Newt. All the other gladers are working and there's a peaceful silence over the glade. Somehow I want something to happen. I'm bored. But then, how could I possibly get bored in a place like this?

I know it's way too late for breakfast, so I go to the gardens and see Newt, kneeing over a few plants.

I walk over to him "Hey Newt.". My voice sounds weird through the silence. Newt turns around to look at me "Morning Ruby. Sleep well?". I nodd "Yeah I guess. How come nobody woke me up? Don't I have to work or something?" I hope I can be a medjack starting from today. Newt smiles "Yes but since you fell asleep by the walls yesterday and Thomas had to drag you to your hammock, we thought we let you sleep a bit longer." So Thomas dragged me back. "Oh." I just answer. "You can go over to the medjacks now if you want to. Jeff will be happy to see you. I talked to Alby yesterday. You're officially a medjack, congrats." "Thanks Newt, see you later." I go over to the medjack hut.

Yesterday I would have been so happy about the news. Now I don't feel much. I don't like this. I like getting excited over small things. It's fun.

"Good morning Ruby." Jeff welcomes me inside the hut. "Morning Jeff." I smile. "Have you eaten something already?" "Yes." I lie. I don't know why I said that, but I don't feel like eating anything and I know Jeff would tell me to.

"For today I'll introduce to you what we do in certain situations. Like someone breaking his arm or something." Jeff tells me while cleaning a small table with medical equipment. "Kay." I answer him silently.