Chapter 5-night

Newt and I sat there for an hour and I told him everything. He is a good listener and he makes me feel comfortable with talking about my feelings.

At the part where he wants to know about the bite marks, I tell him how it feels.

"But I haven't bitten myself since you found me in the woods yesterday. I even felt happy a few times." I say.

"Cause you were too distracted, Rue. You did something non stop and you weren't alone." Newt seems to think about something "I have to talk to Tommy. That boy's like bloody medicine." and he gets up. "Tomorrow at the same time?" he asks me with a warm smile.

"Yeah, Blondie. Tomorrow at the same time." I say, now testing out nicknames for him too.

                                               -

I make my way to my hammock and get my notebook and my pencil, before walking towards the maze doors. I sit down in front of it and start to draw everything I see without going inside.

It scares me, but not as much as my feelings when I'm not distracted. They have been slowly coming back during the day. Right now I have them under control, but I have no idea what I will do the next time they come back.

I take my time drawing the maze and when I'm finished, I'm very happy with my results.

The runners must be back in an hour or so and I decide to go back to Jeff.

"Hey Jeff. What are you doing?" I walk into the med hut and make myself comfortable in a chair while I watch Jeff sitting in a corner and writing something on a paper.

"I'm writing a story." he doesn't look up.

"Cool." is all I can think of.

"Why don't you try it, Ruby?" Jeff encourages me.

"Nah I'm not a writer. I like drawing better."

"When are you going to show me one of your drawings?"

"You can see them now if you want to." I walk over to him and put my drawings into his lap. He scrolls through them and smiles "They are great, Ruby."

"Why thank you Jeffy." he raises his brows "Or Jeff." I correct myself and he grins.

We sit there in silence for a few minutes. I feel kinda tired even though I slept for like ten hours. The happiness I felt minutes ago is drifting away. What's left is numbness and it's annoying me.

I get up and without another word I walk out of the hut towards the kitchen. I greet Fry with a short hello and take a knife from the table. I don't think he notices because I do it fast. I walk into the woods again and stop at a random tree.

With the knife in my hand, I carve words into the tree. :Why can't I fucking feel anything.

That's it. My legacy. I carve my name under it.

Then I kick against the tree with my feet. "Sorry." I shortly say. Oh god. Now I'm talking to trees.

Thomas has to come back. I'm bored. I want something to happen. Like an explosion. I don't think that's possible in here. But whatever.

I now take my wrist and bite into it. It hurts and I feel better immediately. Well not exactly better, but like I did something that was long overdue.

I put the knife into my pocket and make my way back.

Soon Thomas and Minho arrive in the glade and we eat together before I go to sleep.

-