Chapter 6-realization

The first thing I feel when I wake up are two big hands holding my hand. I'm laying on my stomach in my hammock and my right hand is in Thomas's lap. He is sitting on a chair next to my hammock and he's sleeping.

When I stand up, I try not to wake him up and slowly take my hand away. I walk over to his hammock and take a new shirt from him. It's dark blue with long sleeves and it goes over my waste.

I skip breakfast and make my way to the medhut.
"Morning Jeff." I say to the other boy and sit down on my favourite chair in the corner. "Good Morning Ruby." Jeff greets back and then continues whatever he's doing at the moment.

"Whatcha doing?" I ask him. I think it's hard to miss I'm bored. He smiles "Writing. You could join me."

"No, thanks." I say politely. I hope someone's gonna get hurt today, because sitting here and doing nothing is not so exciting.

"Can I go on a walk?"

"Of course you can, nobody's here." he adds "But don't go missing again, yeah?"

I roll my eyes but nodd at him. "Bye Jeff."

I could go to the track-hoes and hang out with Newt. Or I could prepare lunch with Fry. I decide to go to Newt and after that to Fry.

The fields where the gardeners work are almost empty today and I can't find Newt. Maybe today he's working in the kitchen or something. So I make my way to the kitchen.

There he is. Newt is sitting at a table with both Thomas and Minho. They are having breakfast. At the thought of that I realize I haven't eaten since yesterday morning. And I know if the boys see me they are gonna notice that to.

I try to sneak out of the dining hall. "Hey Ruby!" I sigh and turn around. Newt is motioning for me to come over. I do and sit down on the bench next to him.

"Have you had breakfast yet?" Newt asks me stern. "Uh, yes." I lie.

Newt raises his eyebrows at me "Oh yeah? When. Couse Fry told me you haven't."

I look to the ground, then I face him again. "And why do you ask me if I did, when you already know the answer?"

"Because now I know that you're not honest and that I should keep an eye on you." Newt sounds just like a parent. It's annoying.

"And since when are you my babysitter, Newt?" There is now anger in my tone.

He now raises his voice too "Since you can't take care of yourself!"

"Oh yes? Let me tell you something. I can perfectly take care of myself! And if I decide not to eat then maybe I have a goddamn reason!" without me noticing I stand up and take a step back.

Newt doesn't seem to notice my discomfort and stands up too "Then tell me your bloody reason, Ruby! Tell me why you're starving yourself!"

I feel a tear roll down my cheek. "You know why." It's just a whisper.

Newt finally stops talking. I can see regret fill his eyes. He stutters "Rue, I'm sorry, I-"

I don't let him finish his sentence. I run out of the dining hall. Tears are streaming down my face. His words sound through my head over and over again.

It all happened so fast.

Thomas was just watching. Minho was just watching. Newt was finally telling me, what he really thinks about me.

At least now I know. He wasn't talking with me because he liked me. He pitied me. He felt responsible. Just like Thomas and Minho. They didn't enjoy one second with me.