Chapter 21-the flare

Waking up with a headache and the taste of blood in your mouth just to realise you're tied up to a heater sure doesn't feel great.

The next sight being your unconscious boyfriend is even better.

Thomas' chest is heaving up and down in a calming way. Though I am far away from being calm.

The whole room is empty. The few backpacks we haven't lost yet are carelessly lying on the floor.

It's bright outside but something is making the whole room look dark and grey.

I glance down at my aching hand. Someone cleaned the wound and patched me up with a bandage.

But my attention is drawn away from the bandage by my wrist. Black veins go from my forearm down to my hand.

I inhale sharply at the sight of it. The memories come flooding back slowly. So does my anger.

I remember someone saying that I have the flare. I remember black eyes and rage.

Someone tried to harm me and I fought back. A girl was crying.

My eyelids are heavy and I need to eat something. When was the last time I had a meal?

A sudden pain draws my attention back to my hands. The rope around my wrists is bloody. I must have pulled pretty hard to get free.

I feel like a living bomb. Like I have a certain amount of time left until I explode. The sleep somehow calmed me down a bit but I'm not being myself.

At least now I know where my strange behaviour came from. I'm turning into a crank.

But when did it happen? Who infected me? Wasn't I supposed to be immune?

To many questions, but no answers.

I will probably die.

The thought scares me but at the same time it's kind of relieving to know. I mean that's what I wanted right? Back in the glade I wouldn't have minded.

I wonder what happens with me when I die. Will I just stop existing? I don't believe in heaven or god so that's probably it.

At least that way I won't miss Thomas.

I hope he won't be too broken about it. I couldn't bare the knowledge that he can't live without me. I'll keep in mind that he has to promise me to give his best when I'm gone.

But in order to do that he has to wake up. I almost laugh at the thought of me dying before him. Yesterday I thought it would be the other way around.

I don't laugh. Instead I cry silently. For Thomas, for my friends, my sister and for myself.

Where are the others? Their backpacks are here. And they wouldn't leave without Thomas, I know that.

Maybe they don't want to be in the same room as me. I don't blame them. We don't know who is immune and who isn't.

Hopefully I won't infect Thomas. If I'm not immune then I can assume he isn't either. And that means I can't even hug him as a goodbye.

A movement from the direction of the bed makes me look up. I see Thomas's fingers move slightly. He's waking up.

A groan escapes his lips as he sits up in pain. His eyes wander down to his shoulder and inspect the wound with a frown.

He hasn't noticed me yet.

Thomas touches his head like he has a headache and examines his surroundings.

When he glances down at the floor he sees me. His face falls and his eyes land on my tied up hands.