Chapter 25- the cure

It's been a day since I woke up and I'm currently walking around the place looking for any of my friends.

Spotting them at the beach I make my way towards them when Mary comes over to me.

"Oh hi, Mary." I greet the woman with a genuine smile. She is the one who healed me. If we hadn't met her back in the hospital I would probably be dead right now.

"Hello Ruby. If you don't mind I would like to run a few tests. It doesn't take long."

I glance back at the others in the distance. I can join them later.

"Of course." I tell her and she smiles at me in return. "Great. Follow me please."

This time we are sitting in a different tent. There are no beds in here, just medical supplies and desks with computers and other tools.

Mary mentions for me to sit on a chair next to her. She grabs a few tools and begins to prepare the test.

While doing so she explains a few things to me and I listen interested.

"The thing about giving infected people the blood from immunes is that they will always need more. As much as I want you to be cured, after a time you'll need Thomas's blood more and more frequently and we won't be able to give you that."

She says with guilt in her tone. "I'm sorry, but you can't come with us to the save haven. We can't risk it."

I swallow at what she just said. I didn't know that. So basically they saved me just for me to lose them again soon.

What about Thomas? He won't accept that. I don't want him to stay here because of me. I've gotta talk to him.

"Give me your arm please." Mary asks nicely with a syringe in her hand. I let her take my blood and watch as she inspects it.

"You can go to your friends now. I haven't told them what I told you yet. Would you like to do that?"

"Yeah, thanks." I say and step backwards. "Bye."

Just when I thought everything was going to be okay from now my hopes are destroyed again.There is no future with Thomas. There is no future for me at all.

I take a deep breath and try to hide my worried expression when I walk down to the beach.

The others notice me and call me over to them. I give them a little smile and stand next to Thomas.

I lean in to whisper something in his ear "We have to talk."

Oh god how much I hate this sentence.

His smile vanishes and he nods at me understanding.

We tell the others that we are going for a walk and go to the left along the beach.

As soon as we're out of reach Thomas turns to me with a concerned expression. "Did something happen?"

"Kind of." I don't meet his eyes.

"Is this what you wanted to tell me yesterday?" He frowns.

"No."

Maybe I should tell him the happy news first. The other thing can wait.

"I'll tell you what I wanted to tell you yesterday first." I announce.

A smile creeps on my lips at the thought of my dreams. "I dreamed something. I think it were memories."

He looks at me surprised.

"They were memories of us." I add. "We were friends before the maze. Well, not just friends."