Chapter 29-packing for the journey

"You guys don't have a lot of stuff." Sonya states, sitting on her mattress while I pack up the few clothes I own into a small backpack.

"Yeah, I never had. Maybe before the maze but I don't know." I'm glad that I never had to explain to Sonya what the mazes are. She has been in one herself.

"Me too." she says in a sad tone. Then her face lights up and she smiles at me. "Do you wanna explore the place a little? Mary told me they haven't checked every part of the building and tomorrow we'll be leaving so... last chance you know?"

The old building next to the haven is only used for the dining hall and the toilets. Other than that the right arm mostly uses tents for everything. Vince said it is an old school or something.

Could be fun. Besides I don't really have other stuff to do. Everything I own is now in my backpack.

"Why not." I grin. "Let's do it. Maybe we'll find something cool."

I could really use some new papers and a pen to draw. And if there are any clothes Sonya could have her own. At the moment she is borrowing mine.

"Do you wanna ask Brenda? She seems like she would like that. And we have to bring Harriet!" excitedly the girl jumps off her mattress and gets her shoes.

"Yes. And we have to ask Ethan." I know that Ethan is super curious just like his brother. And I like to spend time with him he's pretty entertaining. I know Minho would like to come too but he is with Vince at the moment. I think they are busy packing things into the ship.

"Ethan?" Sonya looks at me confused. She has only been her for two days and the person she mostly talks to is Newt. Obviously, she still struggles with the names.

"Thomas's little brother."

"Ah."

We both take on our shoes, grab a bag and leave the tent. It's eleven am and everyone is walking around with boxes and other supplies. I wonder how everything will fit on the ship.

It's a big ship thought.

"I think Brenda is with Jorge and Ethan is with Jeff. Why don't you go get Harriet and we meet in front of the building in ten minutes." I suggest. Sonya gives me a thumb up and joggs into a different direction to find her friend.

I'll go find Brenda first. Jorge and her have to be somewhere around here.

I walk along the tents and over to the harbor. A few cars packed with supplies are slowly drifting towards the ship in a row.

I bet Jorge and Brenda are sitting in one of them. Now I just have to find the right one.

Glancing through the window of every car I pass, I move forward until I see a familiar brunette girl.

"Brenda." I try to get the girls attention. She turns around and sees me.

"Wanna explore the building with Sonya, Harriet and Ethan?"

A smile creeps onto her face and she nods. Turning to Jorge she asks "Can I go?"

"Fine. Have fun." he says and sends me a small smile.

Brenda opens the door and gets out of the car.

"Great. Now we only have to get Ethan." I mention her to follow me and together we head to the dining hall.

                                         -

Another five minutes later we are all standing in front of the building. I didn't even have to tell Ethan what we were doing because he was bored and looking for me or Thomas anyway.

I open one of the doors on the outside of the building and enter an empty grey hallway. It's dusty inside and there is garbage on the floor. With a big step I leave it behind me. Ethan is following and behind him are Sonya and the other two girls.

"Hopefully this school had a library. I could really use something to read." I hear Brenda behind me.

I can't remember ever reading a book. There weren't any in the maze. By the looks of the other three, I can tell they haven't read a book lately either.

"Let's part. Ethan and I go this way." I point at a door that leads to an old classroom. "And you guys can check if there is a library."

Everyone agrees and the younger boy and I walk into the room. Some tables are destroyed or full of dirt and garbage. Two tables are barricading the window on the right.

The desk in the front of the class catches my attention. There are notebooks and an old computer standing laying on it. I quickly take one and open it. Empty. Perfect.

I pack all four notebooks into my back and look for a pen.

"Ruby, look what I found!" Ethan's voice interrupts the silence and I turn around to him.

He is holding a little back in his one hand and shoes in his other. I take the bag out of his hand and open it. My eyes widen at the sight of pencils in all colours.

"That's amazing!" I look at the boy with a big grin.

He is kneeling on the floor and tries to take on the shoes. They are dark blue and look good for the circumstances.

"They fit!" Ethan cheers and demonstrates the shoes while jumping around.

I laugh and stuff both his old shoes and the pencils into my bag.

"Let's go find the others, yeah?"

"Okay."

                                       -

When we are all back in our tents everyone is happy with what they got. Brenda found as many books as she could carry and Sonya even got a hairbrush.

For the following hours I help loading tents, mattresses and all into the ship together with my friends. We'll all be sleeping in the ship for our last night here and than in the morning the it'll bring us to the save haven.

I haven't really seen Thomas all day so I give him a hug when we meet in the dining hall for dinner. He hugs me back just as tight as I and rubs my back in a comforting way. "I can't believe we really get the happy end, Ruby." he mutters so only I can hear him.

"Yeah, me too. I thought running away would be our future." I chuckle, making him laugh a little.

"Tomorrow at this time we'll be home." he says with a genuine smile.

I love the way he calls the save haven our home. It makes me even happier.

And it's the truth.

A/n:

And this is the last chapter before the final chapter omg.