Chapter 14-cranks

We are sitting in a small bunker next to the room where Jorge got the food from. Our sandwiches are gone because of the thunderstorm, so that's my first meal since breakfast.

The others obviously are as hungry as I am and Jorge has to get two portions for all of us.

Thomas, Brenda and me are sitting away from the rest of the group, leaning against the cold stone wall. Thomas is sitting between us and Brenda is very close to him.

Their knees keep touching and I don't know if it's on purpose or not. I can see that Thomas is quite uncomfortable with the situation. He keeps looking at me like I'm going to explode any second.

I never had the chance to feel jealous before. There weren't any other girls in the maze and Thomas made it obvious that he only wants me.

I'm not planning on acting like a jealous girlfriend just because Brenda is touching him. If he's bothered by it than he should do something about it.

I'm not. Just by the way he's looking at me, I can sense that he's not into Brenda. I don't even know if she fancies him.

Anyway. Jorge gave Thomas and a few of the other boys a weapon. Teresa and I didn't get one. I don't like them anyway, I'm better with knives.

"Sooo, where did you guys come from?" Brenda interrupts the silence.

"Wicked." I give back shortly.

"Oh. So you're immunes?"

"A few of us are. Not everyone."

"But you are?" she points at me.

"Yes."

"And Thomas."

"I am." Thomas answers her.

"My brother was immune too." she suddenly says, her eyes looking down full of sadness.

"Your brother?" I ask carefully.

"Yeah. Wicked took him. They didn't want me."

"I'm sorry." I say.

She turns her gaze towards Thomas again.

"You remind me of him, you know. He was just like you. Maybe not exactly, but you would have liked each other."

Oh. That's why she's so clingy around him. She doesn't fancy him, she likes him because he reminds her of her brother.

Thomas looks at her surprised. "What was he like?" His voice is quiet.

She smiles at a memory "He liked to play the hero too."

I chuckle and she smiles at me.

"He was smart. And his friends meant the world to him." Brenda turns away from us slightly to eat up her food.

"Sounds like you." I poke with my finger against Thomas's chest.

He quickly takes my hand and pulls me closer to him. A small smile is on his lips as he looks at my face.

I stare right back at him and admire his face. Every detail about him is perfect. His nose, his eyes, his lips...especially his lips.

Eventually we both look at each others eyes at the same time.

I blush at the eye contact. He keeps looking at me dreamily.

Bumm!

Suddenly we hear the bunker collapsing around us. The small place between our friends and us isn't there anymore. All I can see is dust and falling stones.

Thomas immediately takes my hand and presses me against him while shielding my head. I'd like to Not use him as a human shield, but his grip on me is to tight.