Chapter 11-reunion

"Watch out!" the girl in front of me pulls me away from a loose stone falling from the ceiling.

We've been walking trough the dark tunnel for a few minutes already. The tunnel is made of stone and seems dangerous.

The gladers don't talk much. We all follow the girl. I don't even know her name. She's walking trough the tunnel hurriedly.

I don't question anything. I just follow her. There is time for talking after we escape. She said that too.

"Stop!" she suddenly stops walking and turns to the right. There's a door with a code to open it. The girl types in a few numbers and it opens.

We walk into the room. Newt turns on the light. My eyes have to readjust to it for a few seconds. Then I inspect my surroundings.

The room is big and has a high ceiling. Everywhere are shelves with boxes and supplies. I want to look at it more closely but the girl tells us to keep moving.

We walk trough another hallway and end up in a huge hall. It's empty except for a few
shelves. On the other side of the hall is a gate. It's closed.

The girl runs over to the gate and pulls a card out of her pocket to open it. At the second try it works.

Slowly the gate opens and reveals a desert. As far as I can see from here is sand. Orange sand. Or yellow, maybe it's the light.

The gladers gather around the opened gate. The girl raises her voice "What you are seeing here is the scorch. It's hot as hell out there. Shield yourself from the sun if you can. I know a place near by where we can find shelter for now." she nods at us "Come on."

We walk out of the building and into the scorch. I'm blinded by the light and the sun is burning on my face.

I blink a few times before I take one deep breath and walk after the girl. Everyone follows after us.

When I look back at where we came from, my breath gets caught in my throat. Behind us is a giant wall. To the left and to the right I can't see the endings. It's taller than the maze walls.

I advert my gaze and watch the gladers instead. They struggle with the heat as much as I do. Minho is complaining about everything as usual. Jeff is helping Ethan with a scarf, to shield his face from the sun.

Where's Thomas? I search for him in the back before I find him somewhere in the middle with Newt. I walk over to them.

"Hey." I say, not really knowing what elso to say.

"Ruby, it's good you're here. Do you know her?" Newt asks me, motioning at the girl in front of us.

Thomas seems interested in my answer too.

"No, I don't remember her but she feels familiar. I recognise her." I tell them the truth.

"She seemed very glad to see you. I think you mean a lot to her." Thomas tells me.

"I hope she'll tell me something about me."

"And about the whole bloody world. We don't know anything." Newt says upset.

The memory loss really is shitty. The girl will have to explain the whole world to us. I'm looking forward to it.

I have no idea what happened with humanity, but it must have been something bad if it makes people send teenagers with erased memory up into a giant maze. It's sick.

After about half an hour a building comes into our view. It's half underground. There are windows. No doors. One window is shattered. The girl climbs trough it and disappears into the building.