Chapter 28 -planning

At lunch Vince and Mary told all of us to come to the bonfire in the evening. They said we have to make plans for the save haven.

I think it's about what task everyone will do and the sleeping arrangements. I will definitely live with my boyfriend. Of course it's unclear how exactly the living situation will be.

I don't know if there are tents too and how long it will take until there are huts and everything. They are hopefully going to tell us that tonight.

Newt and Teresa already know what they want to do as a job in the save haven. As Newt said he'd like to do gardening and my sister wants to do medical stuff just like Jeff. I think I'm gonna join them. In the glade I used to be pretty good at it.

I over heard Minho talking about missing running together with Thomas. There's no need to run in the save haven I think. But they could explore the area.

Fry is gonna cook and I'm glad about it. Ethan wants to join his older brother for all I know.

I just realised a day ago that if Thomas and I are ever going to have children Ethan will be their uncle. It was just a thought though, I'm not thinking about kids yet.

Right now Teresa and I are putting the tables in a circle like Vince told us to.

"Who are you gonna share a room with? Brenda?" I ask my sister without looking up.The two of them get along fine and they are the only girls, apart from me, who know eachother.

"Hm, yeah maybe. I mean she is nice." My sister smiles. "But we don't know about the rooms yet. Maybe there'll be rooms for six or something."

"Yeah I hope not. Because then Thomas and I would have to seperate." I make a grimace in her direction.

I mean I couldn't ask Thomas to sleep in a room with five other girls and I am sure they wouldn't want that either.

"Hey, uh do you know how it's going with Sonya and Newt?" Teresa hasn't talked to either of them since yesterday. Even I almost didn't get to talk to them.

Newt was so happy to meet his sister that they spent the whole day together. I guess today it won't be different. I'm happy for them.

"You should have seen them when Newt came into the tent. It was so sweet. She's just like the female version of him." I chuckle.

"I'm glad she survived the maze. She was so young when they sent her up." My sisters face darkenes.

I nod in agreement.

"Are you finished?" Vince enters the dining hall. His eyes wander around the room and land on us.

"Yup." I give back and walk over to the nearest table to sit down. Teresa sits down beside me.

"Good, thank you."

"Are there gonna be rooms for two people in the save haven?" I ask him.

"I'll tell you everything as soon as the others are here too, Ruby." Vince says sternly.

"Fine."

It doesn't take long for the others to join us. Our friends come over to the table we occupied and greet us.

When the whole hall is filled with people and everyone took a seat Vince steps into the circle. When he raises his hands everyone goes silent. I know that the people here respect him. He and Mary invented the right arm and they saved many lives.

"As we all know in a few days we'll be leaving this place and take the ship to the save haven." Vince says. A few people cheer.

"Everyone worked hard to get her and we all deserve a save place and a future. But we have to do something for it."

"As you know we'll be living in an unexplored area. There are things we have to take care of. It won't be easy but I believe we can make it."

Some nod their heads in agreement.

"Everyone has to take their part. For the jobs there will be a list outside where you can write your name on. Let me tell you about the different tasks first."

"In order to be able to work we need cooks to make meals every day. We also need builders and gardeners." I see Newts face lighting up.

"Then there are the explorers and the doctors who will need a lot of help. I'd say cleaning is something everyone has to do every once in a while. That's fair."

Yeah, I wouldn't wanna clean for the rest of my life.

"These are the main tasks we need to take care of. For the smaller things I'd like to have everyone participate just like with the cleaning."

"When we arrive at the haven we will be staying in tents for a while until the huts are done. There'll be tents for four people and some for two. The list for the people who want an own tent is hanging outside too."

"If anyone is unhappy with with something please come to me. Enjoy the rest of the evening." Vince smiles at everyone and walks out of the circle. He sits down at a table together with Mary and a few other adults.

We already had dinner so now we are just sitting here and talk. On my table are my friends and a few girls from the other maze.

Sonya has a friend named Harriet. She's nice.

The girl notices my gaze and gives me a smile. I smile back at her.

"What job do you wanna do, Harriet?" I ask her interested.

"Hm, I think the explorers sound pretty cool."

Thomas overhears our conversation and wraps an arm around my shoulder. He turns to Harriet. "Than you'll be with Minho and me."

I lean my head on his shoulder and grin up at him. "Aren't you gonna miss me?"

He kisses me on my head with a smile. "Definitely. But we'll be sharing a tent right?"

"Yup."

"Ruby, you're with the doctors?" Jeff asks me across the table.

"Yeah, I think so. I mean cooking is an option too. But then I have to wake up early."

"It's worth it." Fry chuckles.

"I'll think about it."