Chapter 16-the club

I've been feeling weird since yesterday night. Since I attacked Thomas. I don't know what came over me.

When he walked me back to the van, he assured me that it was fine and that I shouldn't feel bad about it, but still.

Brenda was already asleep when we came back. Thomas and I laid down on the sofa again.

I don't know how long we slept, but it's bright outside. The others are still sleeping so I decide to be quiet when I leave the van.

It's windy but a good temperature. The last few days it was way to hot outside.

I lean against a car opposite the van.

Today we are going to search for food in the buildings. We will probably meet a few cranks there. They give me chills every time I even think of them.

But I can fight. So do Thomas and Brenda.

I turn around and notice my reflection in the window of the car. I'm a little surprised because I almost never see myself.

I look tired, but not too bad. And my hair is a little messy.

"Beautiful right?" I quickly spin around at the sudden voice.

Thomas is walking out of the van, looking at me with kind eyes.

I smile a little and take a few steps towards him. He stops walking when he's in front of me and tucks one strand of hair behind my ear.

"When are we going?" I ask him. He knows that I mean our little search party.

"Hm, Brenda's not awake yet, but I guess we'll go then."

"I'm hungry." That's an understatement.

"Me too." Thomas sighs.

My thoughts wander to our friends. They must be hungry too. If they're even still alive.

Thomas notices the slight frown on my face and bites his lip before talking.

"Listen Ruby, everything is going to be fine." He sounds convinced at least. I don't know if I am.

"Yeah..."

-

We waited an hour for Brenda to wake up until we lost our patience and woke her up ourself.

We took everything we have, which isn't much, and left the van.

My hand reaches for the knife in the pocket of my pants. It reassures me to know that I have it and that I can use it any time.

Brenda and Thomas have the guns.

We haven't entered a building yet. Brenda keeps saying that the building we see isn't the right one, but I figured that she's just nervous. We all are.

The only two times I went into the maze, it wasn't at night and there weren't any greevers involved. But I think this is probably how the runners felt when they were in there.

Cranks are harmless in comparison to the greevers though.

"Let's try this one." My boyfriend points at an old but not so destroyed house on the left side of the street. It has a few windows, a for garden and an old doorbell.

It looks like there lived a family in the past. I hope we won't see any bodys.

Brenda stares at the house for a while until she nods. It seems unsure. She begins walking into the direction of the door. Thomas and I follow her silently.

It doesn't feel right to walk through the garden. The closer we get to the door, the more I wanna turn around and run away.

I'm afraid of what I will see. I just hope we're alone.