Chapter 8-catch me

Since Minho is still recovering, Thomas runs the maze alone today. I haven't had the chance to see him before he left. The runners often return after lunch, so in a few hours he'll be back.

Yesterday he kissed me two times before we went into our own hammocks. The first time he wanted to give me a good night kiss, but then he kissed me again more passionate.

The first kiss already gave me butterflies, so after the second I nearly faded.

I don't know if I'll ever get used to this.

Now I'm cleaning a cut on Winstons arm. He's the keeper of the slicers, which is why I don't see him so often. He smells like blood. And that reminds me of my wrist.

I don't like thinking about it. Sometimes it triggers something inside me and I feel the need to hurt myself, even if I don't feel bad at the moment.

When Thomas comes back, I'm gonna tell him what I told Newt. About my feelings. Newt handled it pretty well. But that was maybe because of his own experience with... I don't even know.

I had breakfast already. Newt and Minho took care of it.

Today there are more people in the medhut. Winston and the boy who wanted to dance with me at the bonfire so urgently. I told Jeff, I wanted to patch up Winston. He didn't ask me about it, but he looked at me knowingly.

I don't think the people around here like the boy, James I think, very much. He must be some kind of trouble maker.

"You're ready to go." I send Winston a small smile which he returns, before he leaves.

I ignore James and sit down on a chair with my blog and start drawing something.

I walk through the hut to show Jeff my results. James is on his way to the door. When he walks past me, he quickly lays one hand on my waist before walking away and acting like nothing happened.

I shiver at the unwanted touch and stand still for a moment. Jeff is busy with cleaning up. He didn't see it. I'm not going to make a big deal out of it.

I've been here for two weeks and other than a few comments and weird looks, nobody tried anything.
I'm gonna just forget about it. It was nothing.

"Are you okay, Ruby?" Jeff looks at me with a small frown.

"Oh yeah, everythings fine. I wanted to show you my drawing, look." I give him the drawing and he smiles.

"I bet before the maze you were famous because of your talent."

"Hm of course." I respond smiling. Jeff always says things like that. He's probably one of the kindest people I know.

"How are you? Not right now but in general." he then asks me.

"I'm fine I think. I wasn't when Newt and I fought, but since then I'm doing okay. How are you?" I know it's not the same with him but it feels weird to not ask him back about how he is.

"I'm fine too. Just know that you can talk to me about anything. I'm a good listener."

I smile "I know Jeff, thank you."

"You're welcome." his expression changes into a more amused one "By the way where were you the evening Minho was here? Because I didn't see you or Thomas until yesterday morning."

If he already asks like this I know he has a suspicion. Thomas and I didn't tell the others yet and I have no idea how to do it.

"I uh I was with Thomas. In the deadheads. We were in the map room, because he still had to map the maze you know." We both know I'm lying but whatever.