Chapter 10-goodbye

"Time for breakfast Rue, come on." Newt tries to get me out of my hammock.

"Five minutes, pleasee." I beg, really not feeling like getting up. But we have plans for today.

Newt obviously can't remind me of that because we are being watched by wicked. We can talk as soon as we are in the dining hall.

"I'm coming."

I stand up and look at my blonde best friend. Newt looks a bit tired. He can rest when we are out of here. We can all recover soon.

For some it will take longer than for others. But we all can't remember anything before the maze. So we've practically been here our whole lives.

Ten minutes later we are all gathered in the dining hall. Newt, Alby, Thomas, Minho and I are standing in front of the gladers.

Alby raises his voice "Today we are leaving this place. I know a few of you won't come with us and I can't force you to. But for the ones that will leave with me today: We have a lot to to till twelve o'clock."

"Fry over here takes care of the food. I want the other cooks and the sloopers to help them. Do it inside of the hall."

"The ones of the builders that are coming with us and the runners and the slicers are gonna prepare weapons and backpacks in the homestead."

"Fill bottles with water. The medjacks will pack up medical equipment. Trackhoes, you will work on the fields as usual and deliver plants to the cooks."

"Everyone else, take jackets and prepare yourself for our last journey. We will make it. I know that."

A few people applaude. I look around proudly. We are going to leave today. I search for the brunette and find him standing with Newt.

Minho and Jeff are talking to Fry. The other gladers look at Alby, inspired. They all look up to him. They trust him.

Well not all of them. Gally and a few builders aren't coming with us. And three ore more other boys I don't know.

James is still in the slammer and I think everyone forgot about him. I won't remind them.

Alby says one final sentence "Everyone, we will gather around the maze entrance ten minutes before leaving and everyone who doesn't join, won't come with us."

The thought of leaving gladers behind scares me. I know we leave them to die. Something tells me that I can trust the person who wrote the letter.

They wrote down 'a good friend' or something. That means I had friends before the maze. One at least. I'm excited to meet them.

But I think it will be weird, because they can remember me and I can't.

After Alby finishes, I leave with Jeff and we go to the medhut.

It's nine o'clock. That means we have three hours to prepare everything.

The medjacks don't have to to much. There are a few things we put into a bag. Like bandages and desinfection spray. But other than that there's nothing to do for me.

I could help Thomas and Minho with the weapons. They are in the homestead. Gally and the people who stay in the glade are not there. They don't want to help us.

I'm somehow glad that Gally is not coming with us. He hates me almost as much as he hates Thomas. I can't even tell why. Maybe just because I'm different.

I'm a girl. But that's a stupid reason. I can't decide what gender I am.

Or maybe he saw me. Like he saw Thomas. In his memory.