Ikadalawampu't Siyam na Kabanata

Kabanata 29

Emergency

Our quick escape to reality was worth it with how loaded the work was waiting for me when I got back.

Kaliwa't kanan ang shoots ng movie, commercials and magazines. We were nearly in a wrap for the movie. Naka-line up na ang guestings ng casts sa iba't ibang talk shows sa mga susunod na linggo.

Lope and I are the cover models for a prestige magazine issue next month. It's women's campaign. The plan was already laid out. Napagkasunduan na iyon ng dalawang partido at naayos na rin ang gusot sa schedule naming dalawa.

It was in a vintage setting with transcending modernity like how modern society expects women to be, a nice contrast. That vintage perspective perfectly represents the stagnant outlook of society with women.

I loved the concept, it sold me the first time I heard it.

Umayos ako ng upo, ngumiti ako sa camera. I clicked to send my picture to my baby.

"Hey, Lilah!" Lope greeted me on the dressing room.

She just arrived and occupied the seat next to me.

"You're late," seryoso kong saad, hindi ko siya binigyan ng sulyap.

I was busy on my phone texting with her cousin. Hinatid niya sa shoot venue pero hindi naman siya sumama sa akin sa loob. Instead, he went to their mansion to see the kids and prepare for the dinner.

He doesn't need to pick me up later, makikisabay na lang ako sa pinsan niya.

"I'm not!" she claimed defensively. "I'm just right on time. You're making me nervous. What's up? How's the little escapade?" Lope grinned.

"It was fine," I gave her a short answer.

The moment I went back to the city, I was bombarded with the same questions especially coming from Michelle. Pigang - piga na ang utak ko sa bawat sagot sa mga tanong nila.

Can they just interview me at the same time? They should've thought of a convenient time to ask me all their questions, so I don't have to answer twice or even thrice to different people. Pati ang mga bata, pareho rin ng katanungan.

"Ano ba naman 'tong tao na 'to? Walang kalatoy - latoy sa pagkukuwento." Umismid siya.

"You should ask Michelle, she interviewed me first. Para kayong sirang plaka..." I rolled my eyes. She laughed at my reaction.

We were waiting for the makeup artists to come. Aside from the shoot itself, we will be showcasing designs of a famous avant garde designer in town, I was very much thrilled with the fashion.

"So..." Lope trailed off. "You guys really met because of me? You hate me. You hate my guts, aminin! Were you really trying to sabotage me that time?" interesadong tanong niya.

"Yes, what about it?" Pinagtaasan ko siya ng kilay.

Sumandal ako sa upuan, pinaglaruan ko ang dulo ng aking buhok.

Huminga ako nang malalim bago nagpatuloy. "That was part of my plan. I just wanted to know your roots and understand why you were famous all of a sudden. But most of all, no one would ever even guess where I was. I needed to be away from everyone and everything that was happening."

"Honestly, leaking your nudes was such a low blow... that was just sick... we do all photoshoots like that all the time, but those were personal." She shook her head and sighed.

"It happened during a press conference, I admired you for gaining your composure at the same time you were a badass, I don't think I can do that given the circumstance. Everyone was back to hating women with their misogynistic remarks. Halos lahat naghuhugas kamay, like they were morally high and all shit." Lope added.