Ikatatlumpo't Isang Kabanata

Kabanata 31

Guts

TRIGGER WARNING: Mention of sexual assault. Read at your own risk.

It was twelve midnight.

Kanina pa nakauwi si Michelle pagkatapos ng movie marathon na may kasamang red wine. I invited her while Rye had to console his friend, Henry, after the break up.

Wala akong ibang ginawa kung hindi tingnan ang oras sa screen ng phone ko habang nasa mansyon si Michelle.

My boyfriend hasn't texted me after informing me he was already on Henry's place. It was odd, because he was texting me any ganap whenever he wasn't with me.

He promised to come home before midnight and not to drink that much. Did he get drunk? Wala namang problema sa akin kung nalasing siya at hindi makakauwi. I'd rather let him stay there than drive home to me and risk his safety.

But...

I couldn't sleep.

Bumangon ako sa kama upang tawagan ang kanyang number. It was ringing, but he wasn't answering.

I tried again, the same thing happened. Ngumuso ako.

Huminga ako nang malalim.

Bumaba ako sa kusina upang uminom ng tubig. I was still thinking about the incident. Hindi ako mapakali. Something was telling me there was something wrong. Probably, my guts.

I haven't been this paranoid... well, Rye didn't do anything to make me paranoid. My mind started to think of the worst scenarios. What if my boyfriend tried his best to go home but he met an accident along the way?

Gosh.

Bumalik ako sa k'warto upang magpalit ng desenteng kasuotan. I was only wearing my night gown. I just changed into leggings and an over-sized hoodie. Nagsuot din ako ng cap para mas lalong hindi makilala ng madla.

I booked a car on the app using Michelle's name. We usually do that for my safety. Laging nakapangalan sa assistant ko o kahit anong pseudonym.

Within minutes of waiting, the ride arrived in front of the house. I texted Michelle where I was going, but knowing her, she was asleep to even read my message at this time.

Nasa biyahe pa lang, kumakabog na ang aking dibdib. My eyes focused on the sides of the highway if there occurred a vehicular accident or any signs of it. None was encountered.

Nakarating ako sa tapat ng condo building ni Henry. I knew the exact address, even the floor and the unit.

Napapikit ako. I was pacing back and forth outside the building. Maybe, they were just abusing their liver and having a deep heart-to-heart talk, and I was just too worried.

Muli kong tinawagan ang phone niya. Just like earlier, he didn't answer.

I bit my lower lip. Should I continue going?

Something caught my eye, it was my car which he always used sitting on the parking lot. He's still in the building. Nawala naman ang kaba ko na may nangyaring masama sa kanya.

This time, I was decided to do a quick visit on them. Sayang naman ang ipinunta ko. I just checked in the front desk and was given a visitor's pass. Pumasok ako sa elevator at umakyat sa naturang palapag ng unit ni Henry.

Pinindot ko ang doorbell button.

The door opened, and I was welcomed by a kiss and a force trying to corner me against the door. It was fucking Henry. Agad na dumapo sa kanyang pisngi ang aking kamay, itinulak ko siya palayo sa akin. He stumbled on the floor.