Chapter fourteen: wine bottles

Laelynn's point of view

When I told Lord Ries about the vampire king being here, his mood went from whatever it was to being irritated. Still, he shockingly didn't act mean to me as I expected him to.

When he left that bathroom, once again in his naked glory, he told me to go take a bath because I was coming with him to the meeting.

Why? I had no clue.

Maybe he didn't want to leave me alone in his room.

I finished my shower and walked to the main bedroom, wondering what outfit I was getting today. I was surprised to see a cute sun dress laid out on the bed.

No lace, no satin, no revealing lingerie. It was a dress.

A normal dress.

My mouth fell open as I picked it up and felt the material. It was yellow and had daisies scattered all over it. It was a long sleeved dress, which was great because it was pretty cold to expose my arms.

"Why do you look so surprised?" Lord Ries spoke for the first time this morning.

"Are you sure this is for me?" I asked him.

"You want to wear that black lingerie I bought for you?" He asked me with raised eyebrows. I blinked.

Absolutely not.

"Stop questioning my decisions. I'm already doing that to myself." He added, picking up my collar. I never took the time to appreciate just how beautiful it looked. Encrusted with rows of diamonds that I could only guess were real, a thick layer of leather and another softer material that made sure my neck didn't bruise.

Most of the other pets got leather collars instead.

I quickly wore a bra and panties before sliding the pretty dress on. Lord Ries kept his eyes on his own reflection while I dressed up.

"I'm done." I said, making him turn to look at me. His lips parted when he looked at me, not seeming to have any words. Almost instantly, he looked away and cleared his throat.

"It fits." He only said. "Very good."

He walked over to me and clipped my collar on, then he grabbed a hairbrush and brushed my hair down. I didn't fight him, too busy trying to figure out why he was being so different.

I need to leave before I end up liking it here.

"Thank you for the dress." I mumbled after he brushed my hair. He turned around and walked away after nodding at me.

"There's some flats over there if you don't want heels. I'll get you more stuff when I have time." He said, pointing to a pair of black flats. I felt like wearing heels today, especially with how beautiful I felt.

I was dressed like I was going to a lunch party. Even the collar looked like a fancy choker.

So I picked the heels and when I wore them we left his room. I didn't miss the stares that Lord Ries and I received from people as I walked a few paces behind him.

Everyone who saw him bowed in respect, but he didn't seem to acknowledge any of them. He was probably tired of always being greeted whenever he walked by.

We walked to an area that looked like a conference room. It had a long rectangular table with probably twenty chairs lined up on each side. Surrounding the table was large seating areas with pillows. One could immediately tell that it was for pets to sit on.

Lord Ries stopped, making me stop behind him. "Lord Baron, what do I owe the pleasure?" He greeted. I peeked behind him, seeing a tall old male.

Vampire.