Chapter twenty five: late

Laelynns point of view

There was no worse feeling that could form  in your chest than when watching your last form of safety speeding away in an SUV. Jakobs black car accelerated back up the hill, disappearing in between the thick plots of trees.

I felt like a helpless child all over again.

I do not know why, but I never thought that I would find myself back in the hands of the vampires. Out of every bad way this escape could have turned out, they were far below my list.

They were highest when it came to how dangerous they were.

I choked back a sob as Zachary walked over to Jillian, who had started stirring on the ground. I placed my hand over my mouth quickly, not wanting him to hear me. He hated it whenever we cried, and the punishment would always be painful.

I've always avoided my punishments in the duration of while I was in the cages with the other humans, but something told me that it would be a lot more difficult this time around.

Zachary lightly nudged Jillian's arm with his foot as if checking whether an animal was dead or not. She groaned in response, and slowly rolled over to her stomach. I almost sighed loudly in relief when I realized that she was alive.

She took deep breaths, as if she had been underwater this whole time, and when her mind finally registered what had happened to her body, she let out the most glass shattering scream I have ever heard.

Her shoulder was full of her blood, and her leg was twisted in a way that made me want to throw up. I found myself looking away, with tears rolling down my cheeks.

The punishments were always bad, but this was beyond bad.

Zachary looked at Jillian and shook his head, "That fool said you'd both be beautiful. Clearly, he lied about you."

He looked towards me, making me cower away, and he trained his eyes back to Jillian. "I'll have to get my money back from him. This is a scam. Oh well," he shrugged and walked away from Jillian.

My eyes widened when I realized that he was coming towards me, and he grabbed my arm before I could shift away from him. I didn't struggle when he got me because I knew very well that I would meet the same fate as Jillian.

Zachary smiled when I made things easier for him. "I'm glad to see that you still know the rules, Laelynn." I allowed him to pull me up, and he started dragging me to his car. I knew that keeping my mouth shut would be the best thing, but I felt the need to let him know.

"Lord Ries isn't going to let you keep me." I said softly, making Zachary stop walking. He turned to look at me with a small smirk.

You won't be smirking when he's done with you.

"I forget that you've never been a pet before," he laughs loudly. "That's not how things work around here. You lose a pet, you replace it. Easy as that."

I was much more than a pet. I just failed to acknowledge that.

He pushed me into the backseat of his car, not before tying up my hands and feet with thick rope. "If you make a sound, I'll tape your mouth shut and I'll make it hurt."

He shut the door and rushed to the driver's seat, seeming to be more in a hurry than he was three minutes ago. When he was comfortable in the vehicle, he sped away, leaving Jillian lying on the grass.

I sighed deeply and closed my eyes, hoping that Eren and Orion would get me soon.

__✧__✧__✧__✧__✧__✧__✧__

Orion's point of view

I was too late.

By the time I had reached the area where Laelynn was, only an empty field of grass had been waiting for me.

I looked at the ground, my eyes skimming over the tire tracks that had marked the grass. Two car tracks. It confirmed that this was really a trade off. My eyes closed, and I listened as hard as I could for Laelynn. Nothing.

The silence stretched around me, and dread consumed me.

Eren was going to kill me.

And I deserved it for not reaching her in time.

What do I do now? Continue my hunt for her  and not come back until she's home safe? Or do I go back to the castle and restrategize properly while facing the wrath of Eren?

I had just barely come up with a solution until I heard whimpering coming from my right. My ears would have perked up if I were a dog. It sounded like an injured animal, which made me look towards the trees. My eyes squinted, trying to see the area around me properly.

The Fallen, along with other supernaturals, were gifted with a vision that allowed us to see in the dark. Unfortunately for me, ever since the incident I had that led to my eyes being permanently damaged, my vision became slightly disadvantaged. While I could see in the dark, it was easier to see items that were closer to me. Those that were a couple of meters back were just blurry blobs to me.

So I stepped closer to the dark silhouette that was making the sound, and as I inched closer, I could tell that this was no injured animal.

It was a terribly injured human being.

"Jillian." I breathed out, crouching down next to her. Her breathing was labored, as if that alone was a struggle, and I could see that her ankle was twisted in a way that could make a creature like myself scream in agony.

My eyes landed on her neck, and a massive bite mark made my blood boil.

Only one supernatural race bit the necks of others

"Oh, Jillian." I breathed out, pressing my hand on her shoulder. She was slowly fading in and out of consciousness, probably the trauma of her injury causing it. Some screamed and cried whenever in pain, while others like Jillian passed out from it.

One thing was certain, I couldn't leave her out here.

She didn't seem to be on the verge of death, but she was bleeding, and her leg was nearly falling off her body. She needed urgent medical attention, but that meant that I couldn't chase after Laelynn.

What if I saved Jillian and lost Laelynn forever?

I sighed, my shoulders slumping as I made a quick decision. I gently lifted Jillian up, deciding that I needed to keep her alive. Laelynn was important to me, without a doubt... But I've been with Jillian for years. She was my responsibility, and she especially needed me now more than ever.

"Keep your eyes open for me, Jillian." I said, running as fast as I could. I briefly looked down, seeing tears slip from her eyes.

"It's okay, Ashley. It's okay." I said to her. Ashley was the name she had been born with, and it was the name she used to introduce herself when I bought her. I had already lost a pet before I bought her, and her name was Jillian, so I didn't feel like memorizing a new pet name. I also couldn't help but think that Jillian suited her better.

All I ever saw in her was a pet, despite how long I've had her. Not family, not a friend. Just a pet. I had know for a while that she was developing feelings for me, and I had planned on mating her with one of the human men in the castle, but Laelynn became quite the distraction when she arrived.

I breathed out a relieved sigh when I saw the lights from the castle, but the feeling was short-lived.

My eyes landed on Jakobs car parked by the entrance, and a loud scream broke out ahead of me.

It sounded like Eren caught him, and now he was teaching him the lesson of a lifetime.

Don't forget to...
Vote| Comment |Share