Chapter twenty nine: plan

Eren's point of view

"What's taking him so long?" I grumbled impatiently, slowly rocking back and forth on my office chair. My stress was only increasing by the minute. I had a sleepless night, wondering if Laelynn was still alive and safe.

"He'll be back." Orion tried to reassure me.

"It's been ten hours. I gave him five. What if he ran?"

"He will be back soon."

I groaned, the reassurance doing nothing to calm my nerves. After I brutally punished Jakob last night, I had no choice but to let him live. Orion and I made sure that he woke up that night, and we gave him until the crack of dawn to find out where the hell those vampires were keeping my woman.

That was ten hours ago. We still had no clue where he had gone.

"We should've sent someone with him." I mumbled.

Orion pushed himself from the wall, part of his low bun coming apart from that action. He walked towards the window, staring out into the distance. "It would have been suspicious if the vampires found him with someone. He's supposed to be working alone, remember?"

I sighed, knowing that it was true. I relaxed my body, or at least tried to, and looked at my hands. "So, do you want to tell me why you were crying last night?"

"I didn't know that I had to report my emotions to you, Lord Ries." Orion replied blankly.

I hated it when he called me that.

"Come on, Orion. I've never seen you like that before. I was worried sick." I said, frowning at his previous response.

"I'm okay."

"Right now you are, I agree. But last night was... Horrible. I felt... Evil for not knowing why my own brother felt grief. You always know why I'm upset. Why do you not tell me about your emotions?"

Orion kept quiet for a minute, "Jakob is here."

Always changing the subject.

"Orion..."

"Eren, my biggest priority right now, more than my own emotions, is ensuring that Laelynn comes back safe to us. Therapy sessions will not bring her home."

I know that.

"I just want to be there for you." I said to him softly. Orion turned to look at me, his eyes softening. "You are there for me, brother. Always. Please do not doubt yourself. I would be long gone if you weren't."

He walked to me and patted my shoulder, "We are just there for each other in different ways. You need me to speak to you and assist you to know I am here. For me, your presence is all I've ever needed."

I smiled, feeling slightly better about his words. Though, this conversation was far from over. "Okay. As long as you don't feel alone."

"Never." Orion said, walking to the door. He pulled it open, just as Jakob was reaching for the doorknob. "Get inside." He demanded. I watched as a bruised up Jakob made his way into the office. Orion shut the door and locked it, then he turned to face him.

"What time do you call this?" I asked.

Jakob looked at me apologetically, "I'm sorry, I –"

He was silenced when Orion punched him on his abdomen, causing him to cough and fall on his knees. I grabbed a cigarette from my desk and lit it up, putting it in my mouth. I wasn't much of a smoker, but my nerves were about to kill me, and I needed to calm myself before I used my gift unnecessarily.