Chapter twenty two: escape

Laelynn's point of view

"Hey! You made it!"

I walked into the attic, expecting a small, dusty space with just a couple of us being able to fit inside. Wrong, it was a massive storage room. The boxes were pushed aside. It had been dusted and cleaned to probably perfection, and a large speaker was placed against one of the white walls of the room. I approached Daniel after seeing him, and he unexpectedly spread his arms towards me and gave me a hug. I didn't have time to reject it as he squeezed me tightly.

"I'm glad you're here. You look great." He said to me, his eyes running over my body.

I looked at the ceiling, attempting to ignore his stares.

Daniel was out of his work uniform. He wore light blue skinny jeans with a white shirt. His blonde hair was combed back, but some stray strands of hair occasionally fell on his face. "Let's get you a drink."

"No, thank you. I just came here for the food." I admitted with a shrug. I swayed to the music and approached the table with food. There were finger foods. Tiny sandwiches, veggie rolls, and fruits. It was such a shame that everyone didn't have access to meat. They would really like it. I ate one of each, looking around at the party happening around me. People were dancing with each other, having the nights of their lives.

I spent most of the party dancing and eating. There was a huge analog clock on the wall, so I was able to keep track of the time. Jakob had said to meet him outside during midnight, which was in ten minutes. It was now or never.

I looked around, my face scrunching up in disgust as people started pairing up and kissing. It was time for them to mate, and I wanted no part of it. I approached Daniel, who was also about to approach me.

"Can you help me out?" We both asked each other. He smiled at me, well, actually he blushed.

"Ladies first." He said with a smile.

"Can you escort me to Jakob? I'm scared of going by myself."

Daniel looked shocked to hear this, his smile dropping as fast as it had formed. "Seriously? Are you still freaking going?" He whispered to me harshly. He went from shocked to angry in a millisecond.

A couple stopped kissing to glance at us, and I frowned at them in return. I turned back to Daniel, also dropping my voice.

"Look, I really want to go back home. My dad must think that I'm dead. I just want him to be happy knowing that his daughter is safe." I won't be able to find peace while knowing that my father is all alone, mourning his wife and now his daughter.

"But I... I love..." He ran his hands over his hair in frustration, nearly messing it up. "I really wanted you to be my mating partner. Even if it wasn't today. I would have waited until you were ready. I love you."

He what?

"Look, I'm sorry. I just really need to go." I turned around and headed for the exit. It seemed like I had to do this by myself. I stepped out of the attic and rushed down the stairs. Just as I was about to sprint away, someone stopped me.

"So you're finally escaping?" Jillian said to me. I looked at her, realizing that her eyes were red. She was probably drunk, or she must have been crying.

"You should come with me." I only suggested.

"You are so selfish, you know that? Orion... He loves you, and you just want to leave him." She hiccuped. I looked at her in shock. "Do you know what we would do to get such love... From a man like him? You get it, and you just abandon him?"

"Orion knew about this. He knew that this day would come." I said to her softly. It hurt me to leave him and Eren, but I didn't have a choice. My father was my top priority. My freedom, too.

"Jillian, please. We have to go. Please."I pleaded with her, holding my hand out for her. She stared at it, her own hands shaking.

"You have no reason to stay here for any longer. You can be free. Playing in the fields, riding horses, growing and eating your own food. You could meet someone you love and get married. Have kids."

That must have won her over because she quickly grabbed my hand, and I wasted no time in pulling her with me. We both rushed to the spot where I last saw Jakob. I was sure that it was midnight now, so he was probably there.

I pushed open the massive door that led us outside, Jillian helping me because of how heavy it was. We rushed outside, and my heart felt heavy when I saw Jakob. He had a cigarette in his mouth, and he was leaning against the wall. Next to him was another girl who looked so small and fragile. I was sure she was at least seventeen years old.

Jakob stroked her blonde hair, and I realized that she was wearing a collar. Was that..?

"Go inside Fluffy, and make sure you sleep." He said. This was the girl I had met in the cells. Fluffy nodded and walked towards the door. She looked at me, her eyes widening when she recognized me. She opened her mouth, silently mouthing two words.

"Go back."

I watched her as she moved away quickly, and I suddenly felt uneasy. "Ah, I see you bought a friend. The more the merrier."

What am I doing?

"I want to leave too." Jillian said to Jakob, making him smirk.

Why am I here? Why did I leave Eren and Orion?

"That's perfectly fine, little one. Here's my plan. I'll sneak you into the trunk of my car, and I'll drive you out of here. I'll take you to the borders of Loria, where a friend of mine will pick you up and leave you wherever you want. I've done this for many humans who are now free." Jakob explained with a large grin. He sounded excited for this. It was creepy.

I shouldn't be here.

I want to go back.

Still, my feet moved, and I followed him as he led us to a black car. He opened the trunk, and Jillian climbed in without a single word. She laid down, leaving room for me. Jakob looked at me in expectance, waiting for me to enter.

"What about your condition?" I asked. He looked at me in confusion before he remembered. He looked around briefly and shook his head. "Don't worry, I'll let you know when you're free. Get inside."

I stepped towards the trunk, staring at the space inside. My eyes filled with tears the more I thought of never seeing Orion or Eren ever again. It hurt my heart that I may never hear their voices again.

Why did I do this?

I can't do this.

"I love them." I whispered. Jakob looked at me like I was insane. I probably was.

"I'm in love with Orion and Eren." I said again. Jakob frowned at me.

"Everyone is. You aren't special. Get inside."

"I want to be with them, I want to stay with them forever." I admitted. "They make me feel safe, and they treat me well."

"I don't have time for this." Jakob said to me. "It's either you get inside the damn vehicle or I'll force you inside myself. Pick your venom."

"I'm staying, and Jillian is too. This is shady, and I don't want any part of it." I said, turning to pull Jillian out. I let out a scream when I got shoved into the vehicle, falling on top of Jillian. I screamed when the trunk door slammed shut and started kicking at it. Jillian also started screaming when the car started moving, driving away with us.

Don't forget to...
Vote| Comment |Share