Chapter seventeen: Hunters Festival

Eren's point of view

"I hope the bonfire is to your liking, my Lord."

"Perfection." I mumbled, stretching my body in front of the hot flames. The sun had set quickly, which made every bone in my body continue to itch with excitement. Tonight was the Hunters Festival, my favorite day of the year. The festival with plenty of delicious food, drinks, and stellar entertainment.

I watched as seven of my best guards prepared for their hunt. They were going to set off into the dark forest and search for pets. It was always such a treat to watch, knowing that none of these humans could ever hide from, or trick, our kind.

It was cute watching them try anyway.

Someone sat next to me, making me look to my left. "Brother," Orion greeted me. I greeted him back and continued looking towards the guards. "Is your pet going to join this year?" I asked him. Jillian was quite the athlete. As much as she couldn't hide from the hunters, she was a better runner than her most fellow human friends.

"Of course, I'm always looking for a way to keep her fit. The running around will be good for her."

Especially since she'll be running for her life.

"Yours?" Orion asked me.

I pursed my lips. Every single pet of mine has participated in my festivals. They never made it back the same each time. These events had no meaning to us. They were purely for our entertainment and their misery. I wasn't sure if I wanted Laelynn to experience that type of misery.

It didn't settle well with me.

Besides, she was probably going to get caught first if she did participate. She's not the smartest pet out here.

If the guards failed to get her, a bear or wolf would probably reach her first.

That's if she didn't accidentally fall into a pit and die.

Laelynn had zero survival instinct so far, I don't know how I haven't killed her yet.

"I don't think so." I finally answered. Orion looked away from me, his body relaxing. I could have sworn I heard a sigh of relief from him. He clearly had developed quite the soft spot for her. I did, too.

"She's new, so I'll let her sit this one out." I explained further. He turned back to me, pretending to be confused.

"Dario got his pet yesterday, but she's still participating. I need a better excuse."

Don't act like you aren't happy with my decision.

I was about to open my mouth when the doors were pulled open, the Fallen all cheering as the humans walked out. My eyes scanned the crowd for Laelynn, and when I saw her and how scared she was, I immediately sent someone to get her for me.

"Everyone will start wondering why she's not joining." Orion mumbled.

"I don't care." I responded blandly. They could wonder, but they all knew that if they dared to question me, they're getting a brutal punishment.

Laelynn approached me nervously, and her face changed to one of anger when our eyes met. She was probably thinking that I was cruel because she was about to do this tonight.

I patted my lap, "Calm down, you're sitting this one out." I told her. Her tense body slightly relaxed. "Seriously? You promise?" She asked me quickly. I nodded, and she nearly flew to my lap. I held in a laugh at the relief on her face. She wrapped her arms around my neck tightly. If I were a human man, she would be suffocating me.

"There was no point in making you do this. You were probably going to die of natural causes." I added, making her turn and frown at me. I held my hands up in defense, "Hey, I'm kidding. Just be grateful you aren't in these other humans' shoes tonight."