Chapter twenty: offer

Laelynn's point of view

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure that he said two hundred humans."

"Two hundred? That's outrageous. This isn't some shopping spree where we can just snatch up two hundred items."

"It's either that or we get ready for war."

I woke up to a disagreement.

One that was being harshly whispered right near me.

I opened my eyes, shutting them immediately when I felt the sun nearly blinding me. It was a few days after the Hunter's festival, and I hadn't been doing much.

I could feel myself slowly swinging from the hammock I was lying on. Orion had decided that he wanted to spend the day with me, so I've been with him the whole time.

I don't even remember when I fell asleep. Last I remember, Orion had to start training his guards. I decided to watch him, but I clearly ended up fast asleep. I slowly turned on my side and opened my eyes, seeing a large group of males doing some hardcore training. They were running, lifting weights, doing planks and pushups, you name it.

I couldn't do any of that to save my life.

They made it look easy, too.

I looked at Orion, finding him busy scolding one of the guards for being too slow. The argument that had been happening next to me was between two other males. One I recognized to be Eland and...

I stared at the other one. Dark eyes and deep brown hair. Jakob.

This guy was everywhere I was.

As if he could sense me staring at him, he looked at me and sent me a flirty wink. I sighed and ignored it, choosing to look at Orion instead. I remembered the kiss we had shared a few days ago, making me blush. It was quite unexpected, but I wasn't complaining at all.

I enjoyed every second of it.

A figure blocked Orion from my vision, making me look up. "Hello, pet." Jakob rudely spat to me. I frowned at him. Not even Lord Ries has called me that before.

I remained silent, and the male unfortunately took it as permission to keep speaking.

"I don't like being ignored. You're quite rude, but it's okay. We can make a few adjustments to you."

What?

"Excuse me?" I finally spoke, scowling at him. "Can you leave?"

"I have an offer for you. One you aren't supposed to refuse. It's about your freedom."

Freedom?

When last did I hear that word?

"Meet me at this very spot tomorrow night, specifically after Lord Ries goes to bed."

Freedom? Could he be telling the truth?

"I don't think..." I looked behind him. Orion seemed to still be busy. He hadn't noticed what was happening. Was he listening secretly? Or had he blocked Jakobs voice out of his head?

Should I call him?

But... Freedom.

"Don't worry about Orion. He can't hear a thing." Jakob reassurred me. "I can shift a supernaturals focus. He won't be checking on you for a few more minutes."

His gift...

"I don't think I want to know. I don't trust you." I said to him. He smirked and nodded.

"Whatever you say, I'll be waiting for you anyway. Just in case you change your mind. One word of advice, however, is that the only way you can leave Loria is with a supernatural, and I'm the only one kind enough to help. There's no other possible way."