Chapter SEVENTEEN

"I'm professor Steven. It is a pleasure to speak in front of you."

Natahimik ang lahat nang magsalita ang guess speaker sa unahan. Naka tukod ang dalawang kamay nito sa baston niyang hawak habang pinapasadahan nang tingin ang hanay nang mga estudyante dito sa soccer field. Ngumiti siya ng marahan bago huminga ng malalim.

He turned to face each of us who was staring at him blankly and continued, "When I get here, the vast open field is devoid of smiles. But why am I staring at a grayscale of paleness even when you are surrounded by vibrant objects and a dynamic environment?"

"I see nothing but sadness-no color, no joy. I am aware that among the students admitted to the hospital right now are some of your loved ones, friends, or family. I am also aware of the type of sadness you are experiencing at the moment. It's possible that you cannot erase the past. It was similar to having a damaged DVD tape playing back and forth inside your brain," he said. Students started to nod collectively.

The professor seems to be in his 50's. His tall, dark, and his perfectly shaped mustache was slightly gray. Ganun din ang kulay nang kaniyang manipis na buhok at maging ang kilay nito.

Nandito kaming mga estudyante ngayon sa gitna ng soccer field. Miss Jamison and all of the faculty members said that every student has to attend this session. That it's for our own good, dahil nga sa traumatic events na nangyari sa supposedly camping trip namin. I was actually going to skip this session, pero sinundan talaga ako ni Miss Jamison after ng class niya. Mukhang alam na alam nitong wala akong balak umattend. Ilang pulgada nalang ang layo ko sa main entrance, pero naharangan agad niya ako at pinilit na pumunta dito sa mainit na soccer field kanina.

Bukod sa mainit dahil alas tres palang ng hapon ay hindi rin ako kumportable sa aking pwesto. I was sitting next to Hunter, habang katabi naman nito si Neska, Nikko, and Renzo, at sa kadulu-duluhan ng bench ay nakaupo ang tahimik na si Noah. He looks fine, kung hindi lang sa mga bandage na nasa nuo niya. Mukha ring nakakakilos siya nang maayos, unlike sa mga kasamahan niyang hanggang ngayon ay nasa hospital parin.

Everyone fell back into silence as he began, "Now I want to ask you kids. Do you now blame the creator?"

Professor Steven gives us a peek. When his eyes met mine, I can assume he was searching for a response. He paused and gave me a really serious look. I find it weird though, but I guess I am really this clear. Maybe he knew when he gave me his sight that I hated God, and I blame him.

"Kids, you know what? Something is always going to break you. Words, people, mistakes, and anticipations. You'll be taken aback by something that will destroy you. But the truth also goes with it. That you are capable of succeeding. You'll get better and heal," he stated, and while it would appear like everyone is moved by what he said, it will require a lot of effort for me.

"God does not want for you to suffer when he breaks you. It's simply his method of fortifying your courage and strength so that you can rely on the resources he has provided for you along the journey. He is good, yet he never leaves our side and is full of surprises. He instills hope in us; maybe he will guide you to the people who will provide sufficient justification for your good quest. God's grace is unpredictable because it sometimes resides inside the pain. We also fail to see that suffering is a necessary step on the path to the happy life we deserve."

"When it comes to everything, especially intelligence, God is unmatched. That's why he produced uncertainty that seemed real. He endowed people with a wide range of feelings. If you are the sunshine that makes everyone feel warm today, the following day you may also be the cause of the hurricane, or perhaps the storm itself. Despite the ability to communicate and manage situations regardless of their complexity, you can be the gray cloud. Wanted no company at all; felt depressed and unhappy."