23⚠️

⚠️This chapter contains some sensitive content, such as strong language and homophobia.⚠️
.
.
.
__________

"...Wei Wuxian is to be married into the Lan Sect and is under our protection. Anyone who tries to do any harm to him, will be dealt with accordingly," Said Lan Qiren.

"He is marrying into the Lan Sect?" A man from another clan, Hedong Fu Clan, Sect Leader Fu Huan said.

"He is marrying me," Lan Wangji announced.

"The mighty Hanguang Jun is a cut-sleeve? Who would have guessed," a leader from Tangxi, Yang Zaihan stated.

"Is there something wrong with that?" Sect leader Jiang asked.

"Huh?" Wuxian asked looking at him.

"You shut it, I am talking," Jiang Cheng said and looked at the man who was berating Wuxian and Wangji for being gay, "there are many people out there who are cut-sleeves, whether they are prominent people or not. It should not matter who they love. Who are you to judge them for their happiness?"

"I don't get how you can not," Sect Leader Yao said, "it has long been known that the Yiling Patriarch and Hanguang Jun are like fire and ice, they never once liked each other. You are saying they love each other now?"

"Yes, and I never hated Wei Ying," Lan Wangji stated, "all of you just assumed so."

Many people were surprised that Lan Wangji has spoken yet again in favor of Wei Wuxian. Lan Wangji was someone who rarely, if ever, spoke at these meetings. He always sat there and kept to himself. No one had ever expected him to suddenly speak up.

"You know what that say when you assume something," Wuxian said, "never assume anything as it will make an ass out of you or me."

Lan Wangji grinned, "ridiculous," he whispered to him.

Wei Wuxian looked at Wangji and couldn't help but giggle, "it's not," he said in a whisper back and pouted.

Lan Wangji patted his head, "sure," he said.

Lan Xichen cleared his throat causing the two to look at him, "you two done flirting?" He asked.

"Never," Lan Wangji said.

Lan Xichen was so amused but kept his stoic demeanor, "well alright," he said and looked at the other sects' members, "any more people who speak ill of my brother or future brother-in-law, will be treated accordingly. It has long been established that prejudice against cut-sleeves and same sex couples is a felony. It can even go as far as execution if you wish to continue to denounce them."

That being said, it long shut the others up. Wei Wuxian was still trying to process what was happening. Lan Qiren and Jiang Cheng both stood up for him. Two people he had always had problems with. As of late, Lan Qiren has been a lot more patient and lenient towards Wuxian, even going as far as worrying for him like he was his own son. As for Jiang Cheng, it was always hard to please that man, as he is always angry.

Wuxian sat quietly through the meeting. He not only didn't like meetings but he didn't really want to cause any more problems or outbursts. He just sat there beside Wangji listening to the others talk while he stared at the cup of tea on the table in front of him. As he was sitting there, something was tossed in his lap by Jin Ling who was sitting close by. In his lap was a tassel that he remembered his shijie giving him a long time ago. It was a green tassel with a lotus flower carved of jade.

"A'Xian?" A woman said beside him. Wuxian's eyes widened and he refused to turn his head. Tears started to swell in his eyes. His breathing was getting heavier but he tried to keep quiet, "A'Xian, will you please look at me?"

Wei Wuxian closed his eyes and shook his head, "I do not blame you, A'Xian. I never did, and I would do it all over again if I got a do over."

Wuxian whispered, "stop."

"A'Xian, I am glad you found love in someone and that they can protect you and take care of you," she said.

Wuxian shook his head more and tossed the tassel standing to his feet, "Stop!" He yelled.

"Wei Ying?" Wangji questioned as he stood up and took his hand.

Wuxian shook his head, "I'm done," he said, "I can't."

"What happened?" Jiang Cheng asked as he picked up the tassel.

"Keep that away from me," Wuxian yelled, "I don't want it."

"Wei Ying, what happened?" Wangji asked.

Wuxian fell to his knees and began to cry, "I am sorry," he said hugging his arms around himself, "shijie, I am sorry!"

Wangji looked at the tassel in Jiang Cheng's hand and focused on what Wuxian was saying. Wangji knelt beside him and placed a hand on his back, "you saw her?" He asked.

"She appeared," Wuxian sobbed, "I c-couldn't lo-look at her!"

"She doesn't blame you," Wangji said calmly.

"She should," Wuxian said.

"Wangji, why don't you take Wuxian outside for some fresh air and let him calm down," Lan Qiren said.

Wangji nodded and helped Wuxian stand up. He then guided him outside to the main courtyard and sat him down at a nearby table underneath a pavilion, "are you going to be okay?" Wangji asked.

Wuxian was trembling but he managed a nod, "Lan An told me I would see people from my past...I was not ready to face her."

"Wei Ying, what did she say to you?" Wangji asked.

"She said she doesn't blame me, and she'd do it again if she was in that scenario again...she is also glad I have you beside me to love and care for me," Wuxian answered him.

"Why did you deny her?" Wangji asked.

"I just cannot believe it," Wuxian said, "I have been blamed so many times for her death, and the death of her parents. It hurts a lot. I still remember that moment..the moment the life left her eyes. It was at that moment when I felt like I lost the last piece of my past and losing her was what made me go numb. I didn't care about my life anymore."

Wangji listened to him carefully as he rubbed his hand on Wuxian's back in circles hoping it was comfort him a bit, "I saw the last glimmer of light in you that night die out," Wangji said, "I tried so hard to get to you but I couldn't."

"Lan Zhan, I know I would have to face her again someday but I wasn't ready. I don't know if I am ever going to be ready," Wuxian explained.

"It will be alright," Wangji assured him, "I am here to be beside you, and help you through this as best as I can."

Wuxian nodded, "can I ask you something?"

"Mnn, anything you want," Wangji told him.

"Do we have to invite everyone to our wedding?" Wuxian asked, "I don't think I want Ouyang and Yao there...especially if they are so against me."

"We can keep it to the sect and a few others. Jiang Wanyin wishes to attend and I am sure the juniors would too," Wangji said.

Wuxian nodded, "alright...do I have to go back inside?"

"We can sit out here longer," Wangji assured him, "someone will come get us if we are needed."

Wuxian nodded and leaned into Wangji. Lan Wangji wrapped his arms around him and pulled Wuxian to his lap. He sat there holding Wuxian for a while to let him calm down. He had to admit, he didn't like meetings either and sitting there with Wuxian in his arms was a much better option.

Wuji: A Promise KeptOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara