46

"Okay my lovely ducklings, you all did good today. For tomorrow we will be back in Feng Shui as Hanguang Jun has a lesson planned for you," Wuxian said as he dismissed the class, "oh, Jingyi?"

Jingyi walked over to him, "yes Wei Qianbei?"

"How is your time with Master Huizhong?" Wuxian asked.

"He is so strict, so much like that old man," Jingyi said.

"That old man, is your adopted great uncle, and a respected elder of the sect," Wuxian said, "Jingyi, what has gotten into you? Why are you causing so much trouble lately?"

"Since when do you respect old man Lan?" Jingyi asked.

"Since he became my uncle-in-law and someone I can actually turn to for advice when I need it. Since I married into the sect, he has been very good to me and he understands what I've been through. And you didn't answer my question? Why are you causing so much trouble? You are Zewu Jun's adopted son, you are now an heir to the sect. No one is telling you to stop being mischievous but when you disturb lectures and disrespect elders, it becomes a problem," Wuxian explained.

"Like you care anyway!" Jingyi yelled.

Wuxian jumped at Jingyi's outburst, and then sighed, "if I did not care, why would I take the time to talk to you? Why would I take the time out of my day to make sure one of my students is okay? Would I be asking you these questions if I did not care?"

Jingyi was silent for a moment before speaking, "I have to go. Master Huizhong is expecting me."

Wuxian watched Jingyi storm off before turning to Wangji who was standing by the entrance to the training grounds. He was waiting for Wuxian to finish his conversation with Jingyi. Wuxian stood there watching Jingyi disappear. He worried about him and wished he knew what was going on.

"Wei Ying?" Wangji called out.

Wuxian looked at him and walked over to him, "something is wrong with Jingyi. He thinks I do not care if he is upset or struggling. He won't talk to me," He said.

"Want to go speak with Xiongzhang about him before we go to lunch?" Wangji asked.

"Why don't we meet him after lunch," Wuxian replied.

"Alright," he said, "is there something else bothering you?"

Wuxian shook his head, "no, it's just, he questioned how I respect your uncle so much after how he treated me in the past."

"What did you tell him?" Wangji asked curiously.

"I do not know if you even knew this but I have always respected your uncle," Wuxian replied, "most people just assumed that I didn't. Even when it came to Madam Yu, no matter how horrible she was to me, I still respected her as my elder. Now that your uncle knows my past, I feel that I don't have to worry too much about gaining his approval because I know I gave it."

"You respect people no matter who they are," Wangji pointed out as they walked to the dining hall.

"Did you know you gained my respect upon first meeting?" Wuxian asked with a smile.

"Really?" Wangji asked.

"Even if you did use the silence spell on me, I still respected you...maybe at the time it was because you are second master and you ranked above me in nobility," Wuxian told him.

"And now?" Wangji asked.

"You still have my respect," Wuxian said, "and never lost it. No matter how much we had misunderstood each other, I still looked up to you. I realize that I tend to respect others more than others respect me but it's something that I've grown used to."

"As my husband, you have gained newfound respect," Wangji said, "anyone who wants to disrespect you will be disrespecting me and our sect. You are safe with me."

Wuxian smiled, "I know," he said. He and Wangji had just arrived to the courtyard just outside the dining hall, "food smells good today."

"Mnn," Wangji hummed.

"Well if it isn't the two love birds," Xichen said as he approached the two from behind.

Wuxian's smile grew as he turned to him, "Xichen-Ge, we were just talking about you not long ago."

"Gossiping about me behind my back?" Xichen asked teasingly.

"Xiongzhang, it's not like that," Wangji said, "we want to meet up with you after lunch."

"Alright, not that you need a reason but is there one?" Xichen asked.

"It's about Jingyi," Wangji replied.

Xichen sighed and nodded, "very well." After lunch, Lan Xichen sat down with Wangji and Wuxian at the Hanshi to talk, "so what has Jingyi gotten himself into now?"

"We are actually a bit concerned about him," Wuxian said, "I was asking how his assistance with Huizhong was going and he seemed very...upset. He questioned why I cared about his wellbeing."

"He has been acting up recently," Xichen said, "I have been trying to get him to talk to me but he closes up."

"He then questioned why I respect Shufu so much even after my past history with him," Wuxian explained.

"What did you tell him?" Xichen asked.

"I have always respected your uncle. I don't know why many assumed that I didn't...I told him that Shufu is actually very kind especially when it comes to advice," Wuxian replied.

Xichen smiled, "that's nice to hear," he said, "as for Jingyi, I thought maybe it has to do with him being a teenager but I feel like there is more to it."

"What is his history like?" Wuxian asked.

"He lost his parents when he was very young. He grew up in our sect orphanage as his parents were sect members before they passed away. He grow close to Sizhui when he first came to Cloud Recesses. I didn't really adopt Jingyi until around the time we went to Lanling when we wanted evidence on Jin Guangyao," Xichen explained, "he doesn't talk about his parents and I have only asked him once if he wanted to talk at all and he declined."

Wuxian nodded, "something I can relate to in a way," Wuxian said.

"I am sure you and Jingyi can relate on many different things," Xichen said, "but his pranks have gotten out of hand lately."

"If he was anything like me back then, I acted out because it was usually the only way I could get attention, even if it was a negative reaction from someone, so he might be hiding something inside that he isn't ready to share yet. All we can do is to show him we care and maybe he will one day talk to one of us," Wuxian said.

"I suppose it's something we can try. I want to know what is going on with him," Xichen said, "how was he during class today?"

"He was fine, actually but he didn't seem fine after class ended," Wangji answered.

"What were your lessons today?" Xichen asked.

"Hand to hand combat," Wuxian replied, "they have a lecture tomorrow with Lan Zhan and then the class session after that will be another day of hand to hand combat. We felt they should learn how to fight without their weapons. It probably won't happen again but thinking back on what Lan Zhan and I went through during the Wen Indoctrination, they took our swords away so I thought it was something the disciples could take interest in learning. They did well."

"It is smart to teach them such skills," Xichen said, "you should have them fight using another sword other than their personal weapon. It will help them adapt more."

"Good point," Wuxian said.