Ready to let you go... I am not.

"You should be always ready to let Anakin go."
...
"You are not ready." He says it gravely like it's a death sentence. "And it's only a week. What will you do after 10 years, Obi-Wan?"

[ in short ] : Obi-Wan plays dumb. Turns away. Cracks a cup. Has the realization of his life. Takes a breath. Uses Anakin's tactic - makes a cheeky comeback. Polite of course. No questions.

and then, his Padawan tells him to leave him, if this or that will happen (???)
OW: breath & heart stops. Can't think. "But, I'm your Master-". Freezes. Can't understand a thing. Shivers. It's killing him. He tears up. He nods.
. . . and sets his priorities.
_____________________________________

"Fairing well, Master Kenobi?"

Qui-Gon Jinn, his former Master looks at him with a simper-like smile on his face and his signature playful glint in his eyes. Obi-Wan sighs, the whole week he hears only the "Master Kenobi" from all the old jedi in the temple with that unamusing for him yet utter entertaining it seems for them, cheeky emphasis on "Master", so clear that the jedi knight doesn't suspect, he knows they all tease him with it. Obviously, his former Master is not an exception.

"Master Jinn." He huffs yet of course nothing else but polite. "I'm good thank you. We have still a lot to prepare for the trip to Ilum." An involuntary fond smile blooms on his face. "Anakin wants more time to adjust first, so we'll make it in two weeks."

"Ah. How peculiar." The older jedi says, not really that perplexed by it, in opposite to the young Master in front of him.

"I know isn't it? It's so surprising, I thought every Padawan would be eager to get their lightsaber as earlier as possible yet Anakin..."

"Let me guess, your amazing Padawan is not that eager."

Qui-Gon watched over his grand-Padawan these few months, and if he noted any enthusiasm in that odd child it's only when a certain Kenobi comes in play. There's something to that boy, he can't really place it and he's pretty skilled at reading people, but Anakin Skywalker remains a mystery. Sometimes he has this mature, no, too old eyes like of a man that has seen everything in his life, and sometimes those same eyes shine in genuine interest of a child, dreaming and clear, like only a child could look at you, though if he looks that way then only to Obi-Wan. Perhaps that is what unnerves Qui-Gon so much. Everything the boy says or does is bordering to extreme, nothing is half-hearted or in-between and Obi-Wan is in the center of it, as if he's the focus of the boy's entire world. It's more than attachment, at least nothing that "harmless" and Qui-Gon worries for his former Padawan, for Obi-Wan seems to remain sinfully innocent and clueless about it all. The way the boy looks at his Master with eyes nothing short of devouring, and no, Qui-Gon is not exaggerating - is making him fear for Obi-Wan's fate (virtue?). But then, he has to remember that the boy is only 9 years old and he dismisses his foolish thoughts. Maybe he's wrong, no, he hopes he's wrong. If not, then they just willingly put a deer with the lion together and wish for the best.

"Not at all, Anakin was very happy when he told me about the trial. He just didn't expect it to be that soon." Obi-Wan can't really put a name on his Padawan reaction. It wasn't only excitement, disbelief, hesitation or confusion, but maybe bits of each and more. Anakin looks as confident in the technical aspect of the trial (where, what, how he shall do it) as totally uncertain about the outcome. Something bothers the child and Obi-Wan has yet to find what exactly.

"Maybe he's not yet ready?"

Obi-Wan instantly deflects. "Anakin is most certainly ready. He told Master Yoda and Master Windu that himself and they believe him ready otherwise they wouldn't bring it up either."