Emerald: The Start.

Ruby smiled at the small Fire type he got from the professor, Torchic. He had gotten to Petalburg when he spotted his father.

"I can easily take on the Mysterious Master if I get a good pokemon!"

"The Mysterious Master is high above you. If you dare to try it, so be it. But you'll want someone who knows the master personally to guide you in catching your first pokemon." Hearing that, Ruby went over.

"What about the Mysterious Master?" The boy with his father spoke.

"People keep saying that no one can beat the Mysterious Master! But no one has tried." Ruby hummed.

"That's because the Mysterious Master uses wits to handle her battles. You may need more than just a good pokemon to beat her." The boy huffed before he paused.

"Wait... Her? You know who it is?" Ruby smiled.

"Childhood friend. I've known her since we were young. She's a very intelligent person, even keeping strategies at the ready." The boy hummed as Ruby paused. "If you want, I can help you get started. A good pokemon is a good start, but it takes time to grow from there." The boy smiled.

"Really!?" Ruby nodded as Norman smiled.

"Well, since you offered, here Wally. You can take this Zigzagoon to help you out."

~

Ruby smiled as Wally caught his first pokemon, a Ralts. Ruby went over as he hugged it close.

"A Ralts is a good start. Psychic type, so you have little weaknesses." Wally smiled.

"Thanks for the help! I gotta go return the Zigzagoon to Mr. Norman. Thank you sir!" He ran off as Ruby smiled softly. He didn't want to disappoint the poor kid. Sapphire was merely the surface of strength. It was the rest of the group that would take him down. But he was sure he could convince her to let Wally battle her.

~

Ruby returned as Norman praised Wally for his catch. Wally spotted Ruby before smiling.

"Do you really think I can defeat the Mysterious Master?" Ruby hummed.

"With enough work, absolutely. Like I said, she uses wits more than anything else. You have a chance." Wally grinned. "I'm going to make my way to where she is. Maybe I can convince her to battle you when you get up there." Wally grinned.

"That would be great! Thanks!" He then paused. "I should get home. Thanks for the help!" The two waved as he ran off. Norman sighed before turning to him.

"Very clean there."

"It'll be cleaner when I meet up with her. I don't suppose she's settled somewhere?" Norman hummed.

"I know her most sightings are in Lilycove. That's it." Ruby nodded.

"Alright. Thanks."

~

Ruby locked combat with some Magma grunts, who were trying to attack a poor scientist. While Torchic wasn't all that great, he charged without thinking and won. He, however, walked away limping.

"I should've thought that through-" His leg was still hurting when he got to Rustboro. He sat down near the center and huffed.

After defeating the gym leader and helping a fisherman against more grunts, he collapsed outside the center. The pain was now soaring, so he rested for a moment before a slightly familiar voice filled his ears.

"Oh dear. I should've expected this."

He looked up to see a young girl around his age as she knelt down, a first aid kit in hand. He blinked twice as she tended to his wounds, being gentle as he shifted slightly. The pain eased slightly as she finished.

"There. All better." She stood up as Ruby scanned her face. Almost instantly, slightly straining against the pain, he stood up.

"Sapphire?" She smiled as he scanned her properly. She wore a blue dress that reached her knees with pockets. She also wore a pair of running shoes and trainer gloves. A bandana was tied on her head and she held an umbrella that matched her dress.

"Hello Ruby. Welcome to Hoenn." He smiled as they hugged. They pulled away as he paused.

"Were you coming to meet me?"

"For the most part. I heard you were journeying and came to watch you. When I saw you injured, I couldn't resist coming over to help." She sighed. "You still charge in before sending out pokemon." Ruby rubbed his head.

"Oops..." She sighed as she opened the umbrella.

"Dear... well, I best get moving. I have stuff to do. Please take care of yourself." He nodded as she started walking away. He then called out.

"I'll see you in Lilycove." She gave a thumbs up back, not turning around. He smiled softly at that.

~

Sapphire sighed as she left Rustboro. She knew he would continue to charge in and get hurt. So she had to get back to her apartment to grab her gear.

"Hang in there, Charger. I'm on my way."