Chapter 1

Zenkoh had been trying to get some of the younger Gnolls out of the citadel. While it was large it just wasn't meant to house children of any kind, Gnoll or otherwise. The way she intended to do this was to have them train at Fort Stoneholde with Leon and the others. He had already agreed to do it in exchange for supplies. Unfortunately, it was harder than she had thought to convince any of the mothers that a non-gnoll could train them.

Zenkoh didn't want to force any of them to leave since resentment or anger could just make Leon's job harder, or possibly even more dangerous than it needed to be. Lost in thought she almost didn't notice someone coming into her office. It was Zhahz Sootclaw, a female gnoll with gray fur with black spots standing at 7' 7".

Zenkoh: Is there something you need?

Zhahz: Yes, Chieftess. You had said something about training at...Stoneholde I believe it was, yes?

Zenkoh: Oh, that. Yes I had announced something like that. In particular it was intended that the younger Gnolls would be able to get training from someone I know at Stoneholde, it is important to note that said trainer isn't a Gnoll. Something else to consider is that the way things work is different there, if you go there it will be expected that you follow their rules and give proper respect.

Zhahz raised an eyebrow at that last part.

Zhahz: Why would you want someone who isn't a Gnoll training our young?

Zenkoh: Because even though he isn't a Gnoll he is more than qualified to be training young, inexperienced Gnolls that need the training.

Zhahz was having a hard time believing this, curiosity was telling her she needed to see it for herself.

Leon had just woken up. Turning over in bed the Vulpine could see that Riya was still asleep, her large Gnoll frame taking up most of the bed. He smiled and then kissed her on the top of her head before getting out of bed. He cracks the door open and looks around but doesn't see anyone. When he doesn't see anyone Leon opens the door and walks out, closing the door behind him. As soon as he is in the hall the arms of a Gnoll quickly wrap around him and lift him off the ground.

Rose: Hi Dad!

It was Rose Ashmaw, his daughter. She was eight years old and stood at a height of 6' 8". She had light brown fur with black spots just like her mother, Riya Ashmaw, but her crest-like mane was half orange like her father and half purple.

Leon: Rose, put me down.

Rose: But I don't want to.

As she says this she hugs him tighter.

Leon and Rose sat there in silence for a few more minutes.

Leon: Well, when your mother gets up you can help her with cooking.

Right after he said this Rose stuck her tongue out and made a gagging sound.

Leon: Or we could go out to the training yard and spar.

Rose: Yay!

Leon: But only if you put me down first.

Rose scrunched up her snout and made an annoyed face.

Rose: Fine...

She then set him down on the ground and let go of him. Leon turned around and patted Rose on the side of the face and smiled.

Leon: I understand you like showing me how much you care, but you can't just go around picking others up like that okay?

Rose: I know, but how else was I supposed to hug you?

Leon was about to say something but stopped himself. With her size, picking him up was likely the easier way of giving him a hug so he decided to drop it.

Leon: Now, if we are going to do that training we should head out to the training yard.

As soon as the words left his mouth Rose was already sprinting down the hall. He shook his head and gave a slight chuckle before walking after her. He doesn't think he could get tired of seeing her be excited for sparring.

Just as Leon had caught up with Rose at the training yard he could hear what sounded like someone talking. Looking around he could see Mu in the distance but she was with Gnolls he didn't recognize. As they got closer he could see that there were three he didn't recognize, they all had gray fur with black spots. Leon waited to say anything until they had gotten close enough to have a conversation.

Leon: Mu, who would these three be?

Mu: Do you remember when Zenkoh offered you a job training some of the younger Gnolls?

Leon: Yeah, why?

Mu: That's what's going on. Zhahz Sootclaw and her two daughters, Sessa and Vuth Sootclaw are here for that very purpose.

Leon: Oh, welcome to Stoneholde then you three.

He could see from here that her two daughters seemed to stand at about 6' 7", so he would guess that they were about Rose's age. After about a minute Sessa and Vuth made their way over to him.

Sessa: Isn't he a little small to be training Gnolls?

Vuth: Yeah, it wouldn't be hard to accidentally break him.

Leon simply had a blank look on his face and before he could say anything Rose did.

Rose: Hey! Cut that out! His size would have nothing to do with how well he could train you.

Leon had never quite understood why his height was a sore spot with her, ever since she had asked at around the age of six when was he going to finish growing and being told that he was grown she has had some kind of odd protectiveness over his size.

Vuth: Oh, is that so? Prove it!

Leon looked to Mu who then looked at Zhahz.

Mu: Well? Is it fine with you?

After several moments she crossed her arms and spoke.

Zhahz: Very well, let's see what you can do.

With that both Leon and Vuth pulled a training spear off of the nearby rack and moved several paces apart. It was completely silent as Leon remained in his defensive stance while Vuth stood there in a more neutral stance, clearly looking for an opening. After several minutes of this Vuth lunged at him. She had completely overextended herself in doing this so when he jumped to the side to avoid the attack he immediately swung his spear and struck her left knee. Vuth let out a grunt and staggered from the hit, leaving herself open. Leon then struck her right wrist and before she could react the tip of the spear was at her throat.

Leon: If this was a real fight you would be dead. Is that good enough for you?

When he said this he looked at Zhahz.

Vuth was letting off a low growl and had her teeth partly bared. How could she get humiliated like that, by someone as small as him. When Leon dropped his stance and turned around to put the spear back on the rack, Vuth dropped her spear and lunged at him again with claws out. Before she could get very far Mu had grabbed her from behind.

Mu: What do you think you are doing?

Vuth: What does it matter? He isn't a Gnoll and he's male.

Mu: I know for a fact that Zenkoh told you before you left for Stoneholde that things worked differently here. I would suggest you keep that in mind before you do something stupid again. The next time you do it I will not hesitate to do what I have to in order to make you stop.

With that Zhahz and her daughters were escorted to their room.

Leon sighed.

Leon: Why does everything have to be difficult?