Chapter 17

Zenkoh had gone looking for Rose, she and Riya had decided that Leon's best chance at being safe was to have both Rose and Purth watching over him. Upon reaching the room she knew Leon was in she found Rose trying her best to curl herself around Leon as he slept.

Part of Zenkoh was happy for Rose for being able to have such a relationship with her father, but another part of her was jealous, jealous that she never got to have such a relationship with her own father. Seeing that they were both sleeping, Zenkoh went looking for Purth. She found her at the front gate, she had managed to finish the repairs.

Zenkoh: Purth.

Purth: Yes, Chieftess?

Zenkoh: As of right now, you and Rose will both be watching over Leon to make sure he remains safe. You have my permission to do whatever it takes to keep him safe.

Purth: Very well, Chieftess!

With that Zenkoh made her way back to her office to look over the map of Clan Deadfang's territory to see if she could figure something out for dealing with this enemy.

As Rose woke up she saw Purth sitting fairly close to her and Leon.

Rose: Can I help you?

Purth: Hmm. Oh, no. I'm just doing what Zenkoh has asked of me.

Rose: And that would be?

Purth: To help watch over Leon.

Rose: Well, just don't wake him up. He's still sleeping.

Giving a nod Purth decided to make better use of her time now that Rose was awake. She began using a mortar and pestle to begin work on turning some medicinal herbs into a poultice.

A few hours later Leon woke up.

Rose: Oh, you're up!

Leon: Yeah.

After a few seconds of silence.

Leon: Rose?

Rose: Yeah?

Leon: I hope you understand why I didn't run when you told me to.

Rose knew he was talking about when they were attacked by Leiko at Fort Stoneholde for the second time.

Rose: Yes, I know. You love mom and I too much to just save yourself.

She placed her head on his shoulder.

Rose: I'm just glad that you seem to be okay.

Leon: I should be able to walk by now.

Rose: Probably.

Leon raised an eyebrow.

Leon: Are you going to let me down?

Rose: Nope!

Leon Let out a sigh.

Leon: Should I even ask why?

Rose: Because I don't want to!

Leon: Rose, please.

Rose: Fine, fine.

Rose lifted him out of her lap and set him down.

Rose: There, happy?

Leon: Yes, now let's go see if Zenkoh has figured anything out.

Zenkoh was looking over a few pieces of parchment when she heard a knock.

Zenkoh: Enter!

When she said this Leon and Rose came into the room.

Zenkoh: Oh, Leon and Rose. Do you need something?

Leon: I was hoping you might have figured something out in regards as to who wants me dead so much.

Zenkoh shook her head.

Zenkoh: Unfortunately, no. No one has seen who this is, they are staying away from any areas they could be spotted.

Zenkoh began rubbing her temples.

Zenkoh: If we can't figure out who is controlling the Witherlings as well as my father and Riya's mother we won't be able to get anywhere.

Rose: What if we use bait?

Zenkoh snorted at that suggestion.

Zenkoh: The only bait they would take would be your dad, are you willing to put him in harm's way like that?

Rose's questioning face morphed to horror for even the implication.

Rose: Of course not!

Zenkoh: Then we are back to square one.

Oshka was back at her camp and she had been reading through the book she had just obtained. It detailed how to create Shriekers and Terrors out of Witherlings. Shriekers were able to make a shrieking sound loud enough to be able to knock others to the ground, but they could also restore other undead in the area of their shriek as well. Terrors were large and powerful, capable of taking much more punishment than other Witherlings.

With this knowledge she had been working on creating both kinds to bolster her forces, unfortunately it was slow going as it took rare ingredients as well as learning the associated rituals from scratch.

Oshka then moved over to a table covered in parchments and various maps, most of which were old and wrinkled. She brushed several of the parchments out of the way to reveal a small trinket made of bone, on it in Gnollish was Oshka's name. Along with it on the table were several old letters. They were letters written in Gnollish declining a request for aid, there was one with Varna's name on it as well as one with Morga's name and several others. A single tear rolled down Oshka's muzzle.

Oshka: Mother, they will suffer for what they did to you.

With that she returned to learning the required rituals for creating Shriekers first.