Chapter 30

Rose didn't much care for what this thing was or what it had to say.

Rose?: And look at what being willing to die to protect you and Mom got him, Dad is nothing more than a pathetic—

Before anything else could come out of Rose?'s mouth, Rose had lurched forward and socked it across the face. The look of shock on its face was palpable.

Rose: Dad isn't pathetic! And neither Mom nor I think so!

She hauled off and hit it again.

Rose: I am done listening to you do nothing but say awful things!

Rose decked it again, this time Rose? was knocked off of its feet before slowly evaporating into nothingness.

Leon was trying to tell himself that Riya would never hurt him, But what Leon? had said was true. She had thrown a chair at her own sister.

Leon?: Face it, to her you're nothing more than the one she used to get the one thing she truly wanted, a child!

Wait? Did it just say that? Leon knew that was absolutely untrue. When she had chosen to be with him eight years ago she had done so even though they were both under the impression that they wouldn't be able to have a child together. It wasn't until later they found out otherwise.

When Leon had looked back up he had a hard to notice smile, whatever this thing was, it had messed up. He wouldn't be letting it worm its way further into his head or under his skin. He then got into a defensive stance.

Leon?: And what do you expect to do?

Leon without a word jumped forward landing in front of it before quickly lifting his leg up and kicking it in the face.

Riya was telling herself that she trusted what Leon had taught Rose, but if that was the case why was she worried about Rose fighting? If she trusted what Leon had taught their daughter why was she so against Rose fighting, knowing full well that after having seen them hurt Leon and what they had done to Azur that she would want to fight.

Riya?: Face it, he is nothing more than a pathetic weakling!

Riya shook her head, that wasn't true! That wasn't what she thought of him!

Riya?: He is nothing more than the one that you used to get the one thing you really wanted over everything else, a daughter.

Riya sat there motionless for a second. Did...did she just hear it say that? But she knew that wasn't true in the slightest! She had originally chosen to be with Leon even if it meant that she wouldn't be able to have a child, so that she could be with the one she truly cared about. They hadn't learned until after the fact that they were able to conceive a child.

Riya didn't know what this thing was but she knew that it wasn't herself, no matter how much it tried to look and sound like her. She loved Leon no matter how physically strong he was or wasn't, she had chosen to be with him knowing what that could mean.

Before Riya? could say or do anything else Riya lunged forward and slammed it into the wall. She held it there by its throat getting ready to haul off and sock it across the face.

Oshka watched on with a furious look on her face. How were they able to snap themselves out of the haze the spell had them in? Was it something the shadow had said? Before the situation could get any further out of her control and backfire anymore than it already had, Oshka severed her magic, ending the spell.

She had hoped that would have worked out better but she was just going to have to deal with knowing that she learned some of what they fear most, as well as what seems to trigger them to get angry.

Both Leon and Riya awoke with a start and just layed there for a few minutes.

Riya: Are you awake Leon?

Leon: Yes. Why?

Riya: Just wanted to make sure.

As she said this she proceeded to pull him closer to her.

Leon: Riya?

Riya: Yes?

Leon hesitated for a moment, afraid of what the answer might be.

Leon: Riya, do you ever feel that I...can't pull my own weight. Do you regret picking someone as weak as I am?

Riya reacted by pulling him even closer, the heat from her body easily felt on his back.

Riya: I would never regret choosing to be with you! I wanted to be with you knowing that you weren't as strong as a Gnoll and I had no expectations that you would be. And you do pull your weight, you help keep everyone trained, as well as keep both me and Rose happy doing everything you can.

There was a slight pause before she continued.

Riya: I love you Leon and I don't ever want to hear you talk about yourself like that again! Do you hear me?

A smile crossed his muzzle as he lifted his arm up to put it on her neck.

Leon: Yeah, I hear you. I love you too, Riya.

Maria was walking the halls. She could have sworn she had felt some kind of magic activate but she couldn't seem to find anything! It was baffling but she figured she was just going to have to let it go, if it happened again she would need to deal with it then.