Chapter 47

Maria and Valka were on the way to Gloomfang Citadel. They had been on the path that Leiko had pointed out to Maria.

Maria: We've been on this route for a day now, so that should leave two more days before we arrive at the citadel.

Valka nodded.

Valka: So far it has been free of Witherling patrols, just like Leiko said.

Valka's expression shifted to a more perplexed look.

Valka: So, why did you volunteer to do this Maria?

Maria was quiet for a second.

Maria: I just felt like I should be the one to tell her that her father is alive.

Valka: I see.

As Valka looks to the horizon she can see that the sun is starting to slowly make its way down just like it has for the past few hours.

Valka: It's getting late. We should probably set up camp soon.

Maria: Right.

Just as she said this Valka pulled the pack off of her back and began pulling out their camp supplies.

***

Leiko, Varna, Leon, and Rose were out in the training yard.

Leiko: Have the two of you ever tried training as a coordinated group?

Leon: No, never really had the chance.

Leiko: Then why don't we try that, it's not like we have anything to do until the message gets to the citadel.

Leon: Rose?

Rose: Sure! Let's do it!

Leiko smiled at her response.

Leiko: She is energetic, isn't she? Okay, let's get started.

With that Leiko got a training longsword and shield while Leon got a training spear. The four of them all got into position before entering a fighting stance. Not long after Leon sprang forward with a spear thrust with Rose not far behind him, Varna wasn't making an attempt to get out of the way, and just before Leon's spear could reach her Leiko used his shield to force his spear off course, then before Leon could readjust Leiko rammed him with his shield, forcing him back. Leon watched as Varna caught Rose's punch, and then Leiko kicked Rose's legs out from under her before Varna tossed her near Leon.

While Rose was busy getting back up Leon was watching the two of them, Leiko was making sure to stay just close enough to be able to block anything that got close to Varna but also staying far enough away so that he could do something else should he need to.

After a few more attempts with similar results, Rose was starting to take deep, heavy breaths.

Leon: I think it might be a good idea to stop.

Leiko nodded and Rose sat down where she was. Leiko made his way over to Rose and Leon.

Leiko: Don't feel bad, we've had a lot of practice fighting with each other. Kind of what happens when you live with Gnolls.

Leiko was quiet for a few seconds.

Leiko: I'm just curious, what would you say is the worst thing that has happened to you? You don't have to say anything if you don't want to.

Leon was silent for several moments.

Leon: That would have to be getting captured and then tortured by Gnoll Hunters.

Leiko let out a low whistle.

Leiko: That's pretty bad.

Leiko's expression was one of confusion.

Leiko: What were Gnoll Hunters doing around here though?

Leon: Don't know, but they were. Once Maria had found me and brought me back to the others though...the camp didn't stay around much longer than that.

Leiko: I would bet not.

***

Zenkoh was in the study looking over a map. Suddenly Thorn came inside the room.

Thorn: Chieftess, Maria and Valka are here. They said that they have an important message for you.

Zenkoh: Let them in.

Thorn saluted before leaving the room. Soon after he left Maria and Valka entered.

Zenkoh: Hello Maria, Valka. What is it you need to tell me?

Maria made her way over to the map Zenkoh was looking over. After a moment of looking the map over Maria pointed to a spot on the map that said Dark Wood.

Maria: That is where the one controlling the Witherlings is, her name is Oshka Blightgaze.

Zenkoh: While that information is invaluable, how did you get it?

Maria was silent for a minute as she looked Zenkoh directly in the eyes.

Maria: We managed to free your father from her control, he's alive.

Zenkoh: What! How?

Maria: Part of the deal that Varna had made with Vara was that if we were able to get ahold of Leiko and free him from Oshka's control she would bring him back. Varna was able to force Oshka to sever her control over him and then the goddess kept her part of the deal.

Zenkoh: While I am glad I will be able to see him again, we need to deal with the here and now first.

Maria nodded.

Maria: Right. So, how do you want to do this?

Zenkoh: I'm not quite sure. I am going to need to have some time to figure the logistics out, until then you and Valka will need to stay here so that when I am ready you will be able to travel back with the information.

Valka: Yes, Chieftess.

Zenkoh: Thorn will show you where you will be staying for the time being.