Chapter 41

Varna and Morga stared each other down for a few more seconds before Morga surged forward with a vertical swing of her warhammer. Varna swiftly sidestepped the attack before grabbing Morga's right arm and quickly twisting her wrist causing her to lose her grip on the warhammer. Varna then yanked Morga in her direction, forcing her off balance before kicking her in the stomach, causing her to double over. As Morga was trying to recover from the blow Varna pulled back her right arm before slamming her fist into the side of Morga's face causing her to lose what little grip she had on her warhammer, causing her to drop it as she fell back from the attack.

Before Morga could manage to stand back up Varna quickly picked up the warhammer before she had a chance to. Without any regard for Morga's presence, Varna seemed to be testing the weight of the weapon.

Varna: Right, this should work. Now let me show you how to really use this!

Without any warning, Varna then swung the warhammer at Morga's chest. She had no time to do anything as the warhammer slammed into her and sent her flying backward, causing her to fly in Leiko's direction. To avoid being landed on he had to stop what he was doing and dodge out of the way. When Morga landed some dust and debris were thrown into the air.

Just as Varna began to move closer Leiko pulled out a smoke bomb and threw it causing a cloud of obscuring smoke to blanket the area making it impossible to see.

Varna: Dammit! I can't see!

Varna then began to cough as the smoke made its way to her and after a moment her coughing stopped as the smoke cleared and both Leiko and Morga were gone.

Varna: Great, they got away.

Varna let out a sigh and slumped her shoulders slightly before straightening back up and beginning to walk down the hall. Once she had made it to the courtyard she could see both the bodies of destroyed Witherlings and dead Gnolls alike. It looked like they had repelled the attack but not without losses, she didn't bother to count the number of dead Gnolls as that wasn't her concern right now. As she walked through the courtyard she made her way to the training grounds, she could hear talking.

Rose: Are you sure you're okay?

Leon: Yes, I am fine Rose, now please put me down.

As she got closer she could see a Vulpine and several Gnolls.

Leon: How did you know we were going to get hit hard enough to need help?

Zenkoh: My scouts had found them before they had reached the fort, so I had enough time to get a warband together and march here just in time.

Riya: It's a good thing you did, it could have ended a lot worse if you hadn't.

Leon: Now that I think of it who was—

Leon cut himself off when Varna had gotten close enough that everyone had noticed her.

Zenkoh: Ah, there you are. Leon, I believe you met her already, correct?

Leon: Yeah, she saved me from Morga, who is she exactly?

Zenkoh: Well, she is—

Varna: I'm her mother.

Zenkoh wore a frown on her face after being interrupted.

Zenkoh: Yes, as she said, she is my mother Varna Deadfang.

Rose had a confused look on her face.

Rose: What? But I had thought you had said that your mother was dead.

Zenkoh had her forefinger and thumb on her temples when Rose said that.

Zenkoh: It's....complicated.

Varna snorted at that remark.

Varna: Yes well, as you can see I am moving around just fine.

Zenkoh cleared her throat.

Zenkoh: Right, that brings me to what I wanted to tell you, Riya.

Riya: And that is?

Zenkoh: Varna is going to be stationed here at Fort Stoneholde in case of future attacks.

Varna simply raised an eyebrow at that.

Riya: Well, more security couldn't hurt...

While they had been talking Varna had been intently looking between Rose and Leon, thoughts of what she had with Leiko before everything was ripped away from her played through her mind, of the times she had to scold him for being reckless and getting hurt. Other times they would simply hold each other. Just as she could feel a tear starting to form she shook her head and then cleared her throat, getting their attention.

Varna: If you don't need me for anything else I'll be showing myself around the keep so I can find where everything is.

Zenkoh shook her head and sighed.

Zenkoh: Fine! Just don't do anything stupid.

Varna simply grunted in recognition of what she said before leaving. After she had left Zenkoh spoke up again.

Zenkoh: If she gives you any trouble, let me know. Hopefully, that should be unnecessary.

With that Zenkoh gathered up what was left of the warband she had marched to the fort with and began the march back to the citadel.