Chapter 11

Before anyone could do anything Leiko threw something at Riya's feet that exploded into a blue mist-like powder.

Riya: What...was...

As she tried to speak her eyelids began to droop as she fell to her knees.

Riya: I...feel...

Before she could finish her sentence she fell face first to the ground with a loud thump. It was now just Rose and Leon.

Rose: Mom!

Leon: Riya!

When they tried to move to help her the six witherlings that were with Leiko bum-rushed Rose, forcing her to the ground so that all she could do was watch as Leiko drew his sword.

Leon: What did you do to her!

Leiko: Sleep.

Leiko's voice was gravely yet ethereal at the same time, it was strange to hear. As he said this he started to slowly make his way towards Leon.

Leiko: Fight, or she dies.

Leon grit his teeth as he readied his spear. He knew this was a bad idea, he could barely keep up with him last time, but he refused to let anything happen to either Rose or Riya.

Leiko knew that if Leon's daughter got mad enough she could deal with the Witherlings, but could she manage that before Leon died? He couldn't defy the orders he was given since he was bound but he could try to take as long as possible.

As Leiko lurched forward with a swing of his sword Leon used the shaft of his spear to block the attack. Leon shoved him back before going for a sweep. Leiko jumped over the strike and landed in front of him, He then kicked Leon in the chest sending him flying back a short distance.

Leon got back up clutching his chest in pain, the kick had aggravated the injury Marr had given him around eight years ago. Too many more hits like that and he was going to be in trouble. Leon could see that Leiko was staring past him, when he looked behind him he could see Rose struggling to get the Witherlings that were pinning her down off of her.

He turned back around just in time to see Leiko jump forward at him. He quickly rolled out of the way, avoiding the strike that ended up where he was. He thrust his spear, which Leiko made no effort to avoid, as it pierced his chest Leiko didn't react at all. Leon pulled his spear free before swinging for Leiko's head. He ducked under Leon's swing before quickly bolting forward and punching Leon with his shield.

Leon's head whipped back as he was struck, blood running from his broken snout. He quickly dodged back before Leiko could strike him again. He could see now that he had no way to keep up with Leiko, this was basically the equivalent of playing with one's food. Leon looked back at Rose again and she could see his broken snout, her eyes wide.

Leon: I love you Rose, don't ever forget that.

With that he turned back to face Leiko.

Rose: No, Dad no! Run!

She began struggling even harder.

Rose: Get off me!

As she watched Leiko make his way ever closer to her Dad.

Leiko could see it was going to be just like with him, he refused to run when Zenkoh was attacked by those Gnolls all those years ago. Leon was refusing to run now while Rose and Riya were at risk. Using his shield hand Leiko pulled out a throwing dagger and made it clear he had it to Leon. He then threw it in Leon's direction.

Leon instinctively rolled out of the path of the throw, watching as it went past him in the direction of Rose and the Witherlings. It struck one of the Witherlings in the back of the head, causing it to falter. This was enough for Rose to get one of her arms free. She let out a bellowing roar as she tore one of the Witherlings skulls from its body. Rose then forced the others off of her, immediately running over and separating another Witherling from its skull.

She could smell Leon's blood causing her emotions to run high, they had hurt her Dad and they needed to pay for it! Two of the Witherlings tried to jump her at the same time only for one to be stopped mid jump and the other to be slammed using her shoulder. She then threw the one she was holding into the other knocking them both prone on the ground, Rose then picked up her Mother's halberd before slamming it down on the two Witherlings. They were shattered by the blow.

The final Witherling swiped at her aiming for the face. She backed up to avoid the swing before rushing in and headbutting the Witherling to the ground before stomping on it and shattering it into shards of bone.

All the while Leiko and Leon had been fighting, Leiko looking no worse for wear while Leon looked like he had when the Gnoll Hunters had tortured him all those years ago, cuts and bruises all over his body. Leon barely had the ability to stand at this point. Just as he made a jumping strike at Leon they heard another deafening screech.

Rose pulled Leiko out of the air and slammed him onto the ground hard enough to leave a crater before picking him up and throwing him into the wall. He slumped to the ground for a second before standing back up. As Rose came in for another attack Leiko ducked under the strike and then rolled away from her before jumping back into the tunnel they came out from.

When Rose had turned around Leon had collapsed and was breathing heavily. She ran over to him as quickly as she could.

Rose: Dad! Dad, are you okay?

Leon: Definitely been better.

Rose: Dad we need to get you to Maria!

Leon: Maria...isn't here. She's...at the citadel.

Rose: Then that's where were going!

Leon: But—

Rose: No! I'm not going to let you die just because the Gnolls at the citadel are different. If I have to beat some sense into someone so they will help you then I will.

She was quiet for a moment.

Rose: I'm going to wake Mom up, then we're going to the citadel so that you can get help, end of story!

Back at Gloomfang Citadel Maria and Zenkoh were still trying to figure out how to use the information Varna had given them.

Zenkoh: Now that I think about it, you're a cleric but I don't think you have ever said what god you worship.

Maria: I haven't. But that's because it never came up.

Zenkoh: Well, who is it?

Maria let out a sigh.

Maria: Since you aren't going to likely leave me alone about it, I get my magic by worshiping Vara, The Goddess of Mercy.

Zenkoh: If that's the case are you able to figure out what is in the giant hammer that's sealed here?

Maria: Possibly.

The catfolk's face took on a look of extreme concentration while the circle at their feet began to light up for just a second. Then there was nothing and the look of concentration on Maria's face was gone.

Maria: As far as I can tell it seems to be a demon but beyond that I don't know.

Zenkoh: I guess that's a start.

Just then Thorn came into the room.

Thorn: Chieftess, I just got a report that the large group of Witherlings seems to be moving again.

Zenkoh had hoped they would have more time.