Chapter 49

The day had finally come, it was time for Riya and the others to march from Stoneholde to Dark Wood. Riya had separated them into two warbands. The first warband consisted of Riya, Rose, Leon, Maria, Mu, Ushka, and ten other Gnolls. The second warband was made up of Azur, Valka, Jahga, Leiko, Varna, and ten more Gnolls. As they were marching Valka had noticed that Azur had a look of worry.

Valka: What is it? Are you okay?

When Azur had realized that someone was speaking to him he shook his head and looked at Valka.

Azur: I'm fine. Just have a bad feeling, that's all.

While Valka could tell that there was something he wasn't saying, she decided not to push him. They were all a little on edge, considering what the purpose of their march was for.

***

After around a day of marching the two groups had separated, this was so that they could come from two different sides of Dark Wood, it was assumed that Gloomfang's two groups would be doing the same. Leon's group would be coming from the west side of Dark Wood while Azur's group would be approaching from the south.

As Leon and the others were marching, he could see a look of worry on Rose's muzzle.

Leon: Is something wrong, Rose?

She was quiet for a few seconds.

Rose: Well, it's just that I've only had about a week's worth of practice with a sword and shield, do you think that will be enough? What if I screw up?

Riya: I'm sure you will be fine. Leiko taught you the best he could before we were out of time.

Leon: If you just focus on what is in front of you and do the best you can, I'm sure we will come out of this just fine.

Leon could see her visibly relax a little, but she was still on edge. He couldn't blame her, they were marching on an army of Witherlings controlled by someone who cared naught for the lives of anyone but herself.

Leon: Do we know how much further we are marching?

Maria: It is still about another day's march from where we are.

Leon: Right.

He could see Mu looking up at the descending sun.

Mu: It's getting late, we are going to want to set up camp soon.

***

Azur's group had set up camp for the night.

Varna: Leiko, is there anything other than what you have already told us about Oshka that we need to know?

Leiko: Other than the fact that she only cares about herself and has no regard for life? No, I've told everyone what needs to be known about her. I still feel bad for Morga though, you were able to remove Oshka's control from me but she is still stuck being a puppet.

Varna: Unfortunately, the only way she is going to get any relief is if we deal with Oshka. I simply got lucky that a goddess was willing to agree to my stipulation for helping.

As it had gotten late, the campfire was barely keeping the dark of the night at bay while the flames flickered and danced.

Varna: It's late, we should probably get some sleep. Jahga and Valka are handling guard duty tonight so we should be fine.

Leiko nodded.

Leiko: Right.

With that Leiko and Varna entered their shared tent for the night.

***

Oshka was looking at a map of the surrounding area. She had forced Clan Deadfang to pull out of Foxpine a long time ago, this had been around the time that Azur had managed to take out one of her eyes. Oshka placed her right hand over the bandage that covered her empty eye socket.

While it had not been what she had wanted as an outcome from that battle, she had been able to search what was left of the town after she had recovered. Just as she was thinking about that she had felt a presence behind her. When she turned around she saw Morga.

Without speaking she used the link that allowed her to control Morga to transfer her more recent memories to her. Still nothing, her patrols hadn't seen anything on the roads and routes for more than two weeks. What was going on? Oshka shook her head.

Oshka: They have to be doing something! Check around the outside perimeter, just to make sure.

As soon as she said this Morga began making her way to the outskirts of Dark Wood. After Morga was gone Oshka turned back around to face what she had been looking at before, what stood in front of her was a purple female Vulpine that stood at a height of five foot eight.

Oshka: I want you to go to the opposite end of the perimeter and see if you find anything.

Without a word, the Vulpine began moving towards the south of Dark Wood.