Chapter 36

Feraga: What exactly do we need for the antidote for Gnoll's Bane anyway?

Maria: There are three things we are going to need: Phantom Lotus, Wolf Rose, and Catnip. Wolf Rose is a rose that is dark gray in color but otherwise doesn't stand out too much, be careful not to touch its thorns though, the thorns on the Wolf Rose can cause swelling and sometimes pain. Most compare the pain to being bit by a wolf.

Feraga gave a worried look.

Feraga: And we're supposed to just collect some are we? What about Phantom Lotus?

Maria: Phantom Lotus doesn't have any kind of defenses like a rose. It is a pale white in color and is considered incredibly rare, funny enough the poison also uses Phantom Lotus.

Feraga: Wait, are you saying that if we aren't careful when making the antidote it could kill one of us!

Her shout scared all of the birds out of the trees surrounding them, after which the forest was silent.

Maria: Yes, now quit being a baby about this, we need this stuff if we want to be ready when they use the poison again!

Feraga: Also, did you say Catnip?

Maria: I did, why?

Feraga: You do know what that can do to some Gnolls, right?

Maria: Leon did describe what it did to Riya one time I believe. Kind of interesting but I can understand why you would be wary.

Maria turned around to face Feraga.

Maria: But would you rather be a little riled up from catnip or dead?

Feraga: Good point.

Maria: Now let's go, I know that there is Catnip on the trail the caravan sometimes takes out of Foxpine, it was where Leon found some.

After some hours of walking the two came upon the patch of Catnip that Leon had found all those years ago.

Feraga had a confused look on her face.

Feraga: Wait? Aren't you affected by Catnip, I mean you are a Catfolk.

Maria: When you collect a lot of plants like I used to, you learn to control your reaction to certain things.

Feraga: What did you used to do?

Maria was quiet for a moment.

Maria: I...don't like to talk about it. I try not to think about what I used to do before I met Zenkoh.

While Feraga didn't necessarily like the answer, her Matriarch trusted Maria so that was good enough for her. Feraga watched as Maria collected a few handfuls of Catnip and put it away in her pack.

Maria: Okay, we just need the other two plants now.

Back at Gloomfang Citadel Zenkoh had just received news that whoever they were fighting had access to Gnoll's Bane, as if things weren't bad enough. As she was thinking to herself Purth had come in.

Purth: Did I hear right, Thorn said that the enemy has obtained Gnoll's Bane?

Zenkoh: That is correct. Maria knows how to use magic to combat it, but she can't be everywhere. We would need a way to make an antidote so that we had something on hand to deal with it if they use it again.

After a few minutes of silence Zenkoh looked Purth directly in the eyes.

Zenkoh: Purth, I want you to go to Fort Stoneholde and have Maria teach you how to deal with Gnoll's Bane using magic as well as how to make the antidote, we will need as many as we can that can do something about this.

Purth gave a bow.

Purth: As you wish, Chieftess.

Purth then left to get what she would need to travel to the fort.

The next day Leon was at the training yard with Sessa and Vuth, giving them their morning lessons.

Sessa: So, what are we supposed to be doing today Leon?

Leon: Today what I had planned was...

Before he could finish his sentence he saw Maria returning with Feraga, except Feraga didn't look quite right for some reason. He waved them over and after a few seconds they started heading his way. Once they had gotten close enough he could see that Feraga's face was swollen.

Leon: Feraga, are you okay!

Maria: She'll be fine, she just had an accident.

Leon: What accident?

Feraga's voice came out slightly slurred because of the swelling on her face.

Feraga: I fell in a patch of Wolf Roses.

Sessa: Does...does it hurt?

Feraga: Yes, a lot.

Vuth: What does it feel like?

Feraga's brow scrunched up and her lips formed a frown on her muzzle.

Feraga: Like something bit me! Now can I please go to the medical ward or do you need something else?

Leon cut Vuth off from asking another question.

Leon: Yeah, it probably is best you go to the medical ward.

Feraga gave a nod and a grunt and left.

Leon looked to Maria.

Leon: So I take it that you got what was needed to make the antidote for Gnoll's Bane?

Maria nodded.

Maria: Sorry about not telling you where I was going, I was just trying to get it done as fast as possible so that we could avoid anyone dying to it if possible.

Leon shook his head.

Leon: Even if you were in a hurry, not telling anyone where you went was dangerous! What if the Witherlings or worse found you?

Maria had a regretful look on her face.

Maria: I know. And I'm sorry. I'm going to get to working on the antidote.

Leon gave a nod.

Leon: Oh, right. I almost forgot, Purth arrived and was looking for you.

Maria: Right, I'll see what she wants. Where was she staying?

Leon: She went to go talk to Rose, I believe.