Chapter 45

Maria, Mu, Riya, and Varna had been waiting for Leiko to be capable of leaving the camp, it had been almost an hour. Leiko had been placed in Varna's lap and her arms wrapped around him.

Leiko: I should be okay to move now.

After a few seconds of nothing happening Leiko sighed.

Leiko: That means you need to let me go so I can get up, Varna.

After a moment Varna complied and removed her arms from around him. Leiko stood up and a second later Varna did the same.

Leiko: I'm not made of glass Varna.

Mu couldn't help but laugh a little at that.

Leiko: Wait, why is that funny?

Mu: Sorry, we have someone at the fort that has a similar attitude.

Leiko: Oh?

Maria: We should really get going.

Riya: Right, we need to get back to the fort!

As they began their march Leiko spoke up.

Leiko: Maria, you were the one that gave Zenkoh a way to talk to me before all of this happened and you said you were her friend correct?

Maria: That would be right.

Leiko: Did she have a longsword and a kite shield at any point?

Maria: She did, but that was a long time ago.

Leiko: What did she do with them?

Maria: I know she gave the shield to me but I'm not sure what she did with the longsword. Why?

Leiko: Since I wasn't buried with them my assumption would have to be that she had them.

Maria had a look of surprise.

Maria: Wait, the shield she gave me was yours?

Varna: The longsword and kite shield she had were in fact yours Leiko.

Maria was slightly startled at Varna butting into the conversation.

Maria: Oh? I guess that answers that question.

After a few seconds of silence, Maria looked back at Leiko.

Maria: Is there a reason that it matters?

Leiko: The longsword doesn't matter much more than having sentimental value, the shield on the other hand is special.

Maria: Special how?

Leiko: It would probably be easier to show you.

Maria: That will have to wait until we get to the fort then since it's in my room.

With that Leiko turned to look at Varna.

Leiko: There is something I need to know.

At hearing the tone in his voice Varna slightly looked away from him and had a look of shame on her muzzle.

Leiko: Is what Zenkoh said that you did after I died true?

Varna was quiet for a moment before responding.

Varna: Yes. I just...I just didn't know how to manage without you, so I didn't.

Just as Leiko was about to respond Varna cut him off.

Varna: I regret what I did, but there isn't any way to take it back. Besides, even if I wanted to, Zenkoh wants nothing to do with me.

Her posture had sunk slightly and she had an ever so slight tremble, Leiko could tell she was on the verge of tears. He sighed and shook his head.