Chapter 21

Purth was currently in the process of setting up a magic circle near the door.

Leon: What exactly are you doing, Purth?

Purth: Setting up a trap so that anyone who isn't supposed to be here will have a bad time if they come in.

Leon: Oh, that's right. You're a shaman, it's hard to tell that by just looking at you.

Purth: Which is intended, the last thing I would want would be for someone to be able to tell what I can do at a glance.

Leon: Purth?

Purth: Hmm?

Leon: Can I ask you something?

Purth: What is it, Leon?

He hesitated for a second, partially afraid of what the answer might be.

Leon: Do you and Zenkoh...hate that Riya chose me as her mate?

Purth was quiet for a few moments.

Purth: Hate is a strong word, strange or odd might be a better way to put it. I do find it strange that she would want someone who is so much physically weaker than a Gnoll, but it is her choice not mine. Zenkoh from what I understand finds it less strange than I do.

Leon: Right, so you think I'm holding her back. Makes sense.

Purth: Leon, she nearly killed herself from exhaustion eight years ago to make sure she got you here on time to survive. It doesn't really matter what any of us think.

Purth turned to look at him.

Purth: Now, do you think you could help me with something?

Riya, Rose, and Zenkoh were on their way to the back entrance to the citadel. The entire time Rose had a disgruntled look on her face.

Riya: Rose, you need to listen and do what you're told here. It doesn't matter how you feel about how things are done here.

Rose: And why should I?

Zenkoh was done with this game.

Zenkoh: Because if you don't then I will be throwing Leon out there to the Witherlings!

To say that shocked Rose would be an understatement.

Rose: What! You wouldn't—

Zenkoh: Watch me!

There was silence for several minutes.

Zenkoh: Either you do what you are told or you can have it on your head that he is dead!

Just as she had shouted that Thorn had shown up since he could hear them.

Thorn: Chieftess, the back entrance is almost finished being secured.

Zenkoh: Good, Thorn take Rose with you and finish securing the back entrance.

Thorn gave a bow and motioned for Rose to follow. After a few seconds she did so.

Once they were out of earshot Riya spoke up.

Riya: You wouldn't actually do that to Leon, would you?

Zenkoh: No, or course not. But she doesn't know that.

After a pause she continued.

Zenkoh: I trust him enough to train our children, to say I respect him would be an understatement, but she needs to learn to listen.

Riya gave a sigh.

Riya: She listens just fine at the fort. But she wasn't taught anything about how Gnolls traditionally are for Leon's sake, we were afraid of what she might do to him.

Zenkoh was silent for a moment.

Zenkoh: I can understand it was done for fear of your mate's safety, but that doesn't change the here and now. She now has to take a crash course in how the Gnoll hierarchy works and it's giving her culture shock.

Riya: I know, it doesn't help that she was never told how many times the clan has saved Leon's life. It just never seemed relevant to tell her.

Zenkoh: Leon isn't even a Gnoll and he respects how things are done here. Now let's catch up to Rose and Thorn before she does something else.

Riya followed behind, all the while thinking about how this situation was her fault. It was her fault for conceding to the way Leon wanted Rose raised, but she loved Leon too much to be upset with him. Not only that but it was fair that he wanted to actually raise his own daughter rather than what would have happened if she was raised as a traditional Gnoll.

Riya shook her head and continued to follow Zenkoh down the torch-lit hallway. They would just have to deal with it and hope for the best.

Mu could see the group of Witherlings only a few hours away, the defenses had been set and they just had to deal with the attack that was inevitably coming. She hoped that Riya, Rose, and Leon were okay.

Mu: Everyone! Get ready, the Witherlings will be here soon!