Chapter 34

Azur: I'm done watching this, it's ridiculous.

Rose: What are you going to do, Uncle Azur?

Azur: You'll see.

After he said this he made his way over to where Leon and Riya were sparring. On his way over he had grabbed a training rapier. When he got close he whistled to get Riya's attention. When he did this Riya and Leon stopped and she looked at him.

Azur: Riya, if you don't mind there is something I need to check.

She had a confused look on her face.

Riya: Oh, sure.

Riya backed away from where she and Leon were sparring and Azur took her place.

Leon: What are you doing?

Azur: Checking something, Leon are you sure you're okay to be fighting?

Leon: What? Of course I'm okay to fight, what kind of question is that?

Azur gave him an annoyed look.

Azur: Really, because what I'm seeing is someone that needs to be locked up with the others that can't defend themselves.

Leon: That's ridiculous!

Before Leon could say anything else Azur had rushed forward with the training rapier thrust forward. Leon dodged out of the way before retaliating with a thrust of his training spear. Azur sidestepped the attack and then lunged forward with his rapier. Leon rolled to the left to avoid the thrust.

When he stood back up, Leon readied his spear. Azur lurched forward with his rapier out in front of him, using the rapier thrust as a feint he switched to a punch with his dueling gauntlet. Leon used the shaft of his spear to block the punch by catching Azur's elbow with it, before pushing him back. He then quickly spun before aiming the spear for Azur's head. Azur, using his dueling gauntlet, deflected the spear towards the ground before closing the gap between them, his rapier aimed at Leon's head.

Leon ducked and backed out of the way of the strike. He swiftly lifted his spear up and brought it down in an overhead strike, catching Azur on the shoulder. Azur let out a grunt of pain but rapidly closed the distance between him and Leon before Leon could return to a neutral stance, punching Leon on the right side of his face with his left arm. After that they both backed away from each other.

Azur: Now why couldn't you fight like that when you were sparring with Riya?

Leon kept silent, looking away and down at the ground.

Azur: Something you're afraid of, Leon?

Leon: What, no?

Azur: Then what was it? I was watching you two spar and you weren't even trying!

Leon: I just...

Azur: What, were you afraid of her being upset with you if you actually fought well enough to possibly hurt her? Did you forget that you are with a Gnoll? In case you forgot strength is a big part of their culture, you fighting that well would do the opposite of what you seem to be afraid of.

Leon:...

Mu: I think I might know what it is.

Everyone present looked at her when she said this.

Azur: And what do you think it is?

Mu: I'm sure it has to do with the fact Riya threw a chair at me.

On hearing that Leon flinched, Azur caught it out of the corner of his eye.

Mu: He had seen her get upset or angry, but never to the extent she actually threw something at me, and I would bet to him if she was willing to throw something at me, what's to stop her from doing the same to him.

Mu shook her head while Riya simply stared at Leon.

Mu: A completely ridiculous notion. Part of why she threw a chair at me was because of what Zenkoh was ordering, the other reason was because she knew that the chair wouldn't end up hurting me. I can promise you Leon that she would never do anything she would be worried could actually hurt you, even after eight years she still treats you like you're made of glass because she is worried about hurting you.

Riya: It was the nightmare from a few nights ago, wasn't it?

Leon continued to look at the ground, ashamed that he let something like that affect him so much.

Riya: Like Maria told you, Rose, and I. It was magically induced to pry at whatever it could.

She moved closer to Leon, so that he was within arm's reach.

Riya: You know I would never do something like that to you. I haven't for eight years and I have no plans to start now!

Before Leon could say anything he saw Maria followed by Jahga helping Valka walk.

Leon: What happened?

Maria: Good news, The circles are destroyed and we shouldn't have to worry about them anymore. The bad news is that whoever this is has access to Gnoll's Bane poison.

Upon hearing that name both Riya and Mu tensed up.

Mu: Are you sure about that!

Maria nodded.

Maria: Positive.

Riya: Zenkoh needs to be informed about this right now!

Rose had a confused look on her face.

Rose: What's Gnoll's Bane?

Maria: It's an exceptionally strong poison made specifically to kill Gnolls. The only reason Valka isn't dead was because I was there to help her.

Mu: Ushka should be sent back to the citadel to warn Zenkoh.

With that Mu went looking for Ushka.