Chapter 16

After what had happened, the cave entrance was sealed up with a locked door leading outside. On top of that the wall that had been busted through was also replaced with a door, that way they had a way to evacuate if they truly needed it.

Leon: Don't you think this is a bit excessive?

Purth had now been assigned to guard Leon.

Purth: No. Whoever this is wants you dead, which means that it is important we keep that from happening.

As she said this she went back to hammering some metal. Leon had been moved to where she could work on some metal to fix the gate so that she could keep guard of him and work on the gate repair at the same time.

Leon: I mean—

Purth: Imagine if they managed to kill you and then brought you back and forced you to kill Rose. In case you forgot that is the kind of person we are fighting with.

Leon had nothing to say to that, Purth was right. If given the chance whoever this is would force him to kill Rose and Riya.

Leon: You have a point. Still...

Purth: I understand you would rather have your mate guarding you. Besides, I'm not that bad, am I?

Leon nearly did a spit take. Did she just say that?

Purth: Done!

She had just finished with the metal that was going to be used to repair the main gate.

Zenkoh, Riya, and Rose were all in Zenkoh's office.

Zenkoh: You seriously didn't tell her about me or anything about how the clan works?

Riya: No, we needed her to be as uninfluenced with Gnoll customs as possible, for Leon's sake.

Zenkoh simply shook her head.

Zenkoh: Unbelievable.

At that Riya had a scowl form on her face.

Riya: What right do you have to criticize how I raise my daughter?

Zenkoh kept her mouth shut, she didn't need to start a fight with her. If they started fighting with each other it would only make the situation they were in worse.

Rose: Mom, where's Dad?

Riya: Good question. Zenkoh, where did you put him?

Zenkoh: He is with Purth. She is perfectly capable of keeping him safe.

Zenkoh cleared her throat.

Zenkoh: Now onto the matter at hand, whoever this is wants him dead. On top of that they were able to just go right through the metal front gate.

Riya: The fact that was all they did seems odd to say the least.

Zenkoh nodded.

Zenkoh: As it should. Thorn managed to find a door that we had never seen before left open. We can only guess that they came here after whatever was behind that door.

Rose: Wait. A door you had never seen?

Zenkoh: Yes. It was the same color as the surrounding wall, we wouldn't have found it without knowing what we were looking for.

Zenkoh looked at Riya.

Zenkoh: And now there is the fact that your mother has been brought back just like my father and is being used the same way.

A tear rolled down Riya's muzzle.

Riya: It wasn't bad enough that they almost killed Leon, they needed to desecrate my clan's graves and turn my mother into their weapon to puppet around!

Rose had decided that she was going to go see her Dad. If she remembered Zenkoh had said that Purth was over by the forge. As she got closer Rose could hear someone.

Leon: Is this really necessary?

Purth: Yes, now quit moving!

Rose began to speed up a little, when she opened the door she could see Leon and Purth right next to each other, Purth with her forehead pressed against his. Rose just stood there not sure what to think. After a moment Purth pulled away from Leon.

Purth: Okay, your temperature is fine. It doesn't look like you are getting any infections or getting sick at all.

Purth then turned to who had come in.

Purth: Ah right, you were Rose I believe. Did you need something?

Rose shook her head.

Rose: Nope! Just came to see my Dad, that's all.

Purth gave a small smile.

Purth: Then I'll let you two be while I finish the repairs on the main gate.

With that Purth left. Rose made her way over to Leon's bed and picked him up before getting in the bed and putting him in her lap. Rose then began rubbing her face against his.

Rose: I'm just glad you're okay, I don't know what I would do if something happened to you.

Leon: Sorry.

Rose: What are you sorry for?

Leon: You and Riya are always having some kind of problem because I can't take care of myself.

Rose: Hey! None of that! You can take care of yourself just fine, if you couldn't you would have been dead a long time ago. Besides, I love you just how you are, regardless of how much trouble you get into and I know Mom feels the same way.

Rose began tightening her hug around him.

Rose: Now why don't you get some rest, I'm sure you still need it.

Leon: Yeah, that's probably a good idea.

Not long after Leon had fallen asleep, Rose did her best to curl herself around him.