Chapter 46

Riya: Are you two okay?

Leon: I'm fine. She...

He looked up at Rose and could see that her ears were flat to her head and that her teeth were bared, he also swore he could hear a low growling.

Leon: She's scared, but I think that's all.

Riya sighed.

Riya: Rose, you did well. Are you okay?

Upon hearing her mother say her name the growling stopped and she quit baring her teeth as she seemed to come back to reality. Rose gave a slow, stiff nod. Riya began making her way across the room, making sure to be careful to step over what was left of the Witherlings. Once she got to the corner that Rose had pressed herself into she pulled Rose into a hug and spoke barely above a whisper.

Riya: It's okay, you and Leon are okay.

After hearing that Rose began to start crying.

Rose: Mom, it was awful. I thought dad and I were...were...

***

Maria: Leiko, you know where Oshka's camp is don't you?

Leiko: Yes, I do. Why?

Maria: Zenkoh's going to need to know that information. If she knows where Oshka is holed up we might be able to end this before we get attacked again. That would mean that we need to travel back to Gloomfang Citadel.

Leiko: Do you have a map?

Maria: Somewhere around here I'm sure.

After saying this Maria began making her way to the study. Once she had arrived it only took her a few minutes to locate a map of the local area.

Maria: Here.

As she says this she puts the map on a desk in front of Leiko.

Maria: What exactly did you need a map for?

Leiko begins to pore over the map before pointing out a route on the map.

Leiko: Here! This is where Oshka's camp is! Also, over here is a route that leads to the citadel that she doesn't patrol. Using this route should allow a messenger to get to the citadel without fear of Witherling patrols.

Varna: Looking at the map it looks like that route would add an extra day, but if it is free of Witherlings then it would be worth it.

Varna looks in Maria's direction.

Varna: With how often this place keeps getting attacked it likely isn't wise to have me or Leiko leave as we can help with defending the fort. I would suggest sending a messenger along the route that he pointed out.

Maria: That is true. I'll need to talk to Mu and see who we might have to spare for that. But before I do that.

Maria looked Leiko dead in the eyes.

Maria: I think there is someone you'll want to meet.

***

Leon, Riya, and Rose were on their way to the kitchen.

Riya: Are you sure you're okay?

Leon: Yes, I'm fine. Rose did a great job protecting me.

As he looked at Rose it could still be seen by the expression on her muzzle that she was still a little upset after everything that had happened.

As they entered the kitchen area they saw Maria, Leiko, and Varna. When Maria saw them she waved them over. Not seeing any reason not to, he made his way over with Rose and Riya.

Maria: Leon, how are you?

Leon: I'm okay, why?

Maria: That's good. Figured you might want to meet someone.

As she said this she pointed in the direction of Leiko.

Leon: Oh?

Riya patted the top of his head a few times.

Riya: Rose and I are going to get the food started.

Leon nodded at her as they left.

Leiko: So, someone other than me really did choose to be with a Gnoll huh?

Leon had a frown on his face.

Leon: Are you saying there's something wrong with that?

Leiko put his hands up in a defensive gesture.

Leiko: No! No! There isn't anything wrong with it, it's just that Gnolls can be a little...overbearing.

Varna rolled her eyes at that comment.

Varna: Yes! Because you've never made stupid decisions before.

Leiko simply shrugged.

Leiko: I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Varna: Sure you don't.

Maria had a slight smile on her face.

Maria: While you all enjoy each other's company, I have to go find Mu so that she can send a messenger to Zenkoh about where Oshka's camp is.

***

The next day Leon and Rose were on their way out to the training yard. When they got out there they saw Leiko and Varna already there. As they got closer Leiko noticed them.

Leiko: Oh? What are you two doing out here?

Rose: Getting ready to spar.

Leiko laughed to himself a little.

Leiko: Is that so? You know, I used to do the same with Zenkoh when she was younger.

Leon's eyes widened a little at that comment.

Leon: Wait! You're her father?

Leiko: That would be right, and seeing that Clan Deadfang has both a fort and a citadel now, I clearly taught her well enough.

Varna: I don't know if Maria has told you yet, but we know where Oshka, the shaman controlling the Witherlings, is.

Leon nodded.

Leon: I believe she did mention something about that, so this might finally be over soon then?

Leiko: We're just waiting for our messenger to reach the citadel so that Zenkoh knows where Oshka is and then we'll have to go from there.